|
Free School Meals for Nearly a Million Poor Children Are in Jeopardy Under Proposed Trump Rule Change |
|
|
Written by <a href="index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=34685"><span class="small">Joe Davidson, The Washington Post</span></a>
|
|
Thursday, 24 October 2019 12:51 |
|
Excerpt: "'Inevitably, if this rule is implemented, many more low-income students who are eligible for free or reduced-price school meals will not receive the food assistance they desperately need. That is nothing short of a preventable tragedy.'"
Students in 2017 fill their lunch trays at John F. Kennedy Elementary School in Kingston, N.Y. (photo: Mary Esch/AP)

Free School Meals for Nearly a Million Poor Children Are in Jeopardy Under Proposed Trump Rule Change
By Joe Davidson, The Washington Post
24 October 19
resident Trump proclaimed last week National School Lunch Week.
Wednesday of that week was World Food Day, established in honor the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization.
What timing for the Trump administration to release, on the eve of World Food Day, an analysis of proposed U.S. Department of Agriculture regulatory action that would result in almost 1 million low-income children losing automatic eligibility for free school meals.
The proposal would affect children certified for free meals because their families get food stamps, bureaucratically known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.
About 3.1 million people would lose food stamps under an administration plan that would affect eligibility. The administration’s analysis says “potentially as many as 982,000 children would no longer be directly certified for free school meals based on SNAP participation.”
About 13.4 million children were automatically certified for free school meals through SNAP in the 2016-2017 school year, according to the Food Research & Action Center (FRAC), using USDA data. It is a nonprofit that works to eliminate poverty-related hunger.
Speaking of timing, the department’s Food and Nutrition Service allowed only until Nov. 1 for public comment on the analysis that could affect the health and nutrition of so many. Agencies can change the way programs operate through an administrative or regulatory process that does not require congressional approval.
“Shockingly, the department failed to disclose this analysis when it originally published its proposal despite being required to do so” in July, said Rep. Suzanne Bonamici (D-Ore.), chairwoman of the House Education and Labor civil rights and human services subcommittee. The two-week comment period, which began Friday, “is woefully insufficient in light of how many people will be affected by this rule.”
The administration wants to change options that allow states to offer SNAP benefits to an expanded group of low-income recipients.
“Children lose twice under the SNAP rules change,” FRAC experts Crystal FitzSimons and Ellen Vollinger said in an email to the Federal Insider. “They lose SNAP food benefits at home and lose free breakfasts and lunches at school.”
The new estimates are far greater than the 400,000 households that would lose food stamps and the 265,000 children who would lose free school meals under an earlier and similar, but not identical, proposal that Rep. Marcia L. Fudge (D-Ohio), chairwoman of the House Agriculture nutrition subcommittee, cited in June using Congressional Budget Office data.
“I take hunger very, very seriously,” she told Brandon Lipps, a USDA deputy undersecretary, at an Education and Labor subcommittee hearing last week. “I represent one of the poorest districts in the United States. Half of the children in the city of Cleveland are living in poverty, according to U.S. Census data. These kids often live in SNAP households and rely on the free nutritious meals provided by their local schools to succeed in their classrooms.”
Lipps said the administration wants to eliminate “egregious program abuses” that “leave a dark cloud over this important program, risking future support and reflecting negatively on participants who need access to the programs.” The analysis was provided as soon as it was ready, he said, and 14 days “is sufficient time for the public to comment” on the four-page document.
Of the 982,000 children, “55 percent would no longer be income eligible for free school meals,” though most of those would be eligible for reduced-price meals, according to the USDA’s analysis.
About 45 percent would be able to receive free meals through other programs but not automatically, as is now the case.
With automatic or “direct certification” gone, families seeking free or discounted meals would have to apply for a service that now happens without any action on their part.
About 2,000 schools now provide free meals to all their students, which simplifies the program, reduces paperwork and results in, Bonamici said, “the elimination of stigma among students.”
In response, Rep. James Comer (Ky.), the top Republican on the panel, insisted that “all eligible children will continue to receive school meals. Let me repeat that: All eligible schoolchildren will continue to receive meals.”
His comment did not note the elimination of automatic free meals.
“I believe the rule will strengthen integrity in the SNAP program by closing an unintended loophole that has allowed some states to extend food stamp eligibility to millions of people who did not qualify while taking away resources meant for the truly needy,” he said.
But as a result of the Trump plan, “These schools will be forced to go through the burdensome process of asking low-income families to fill out individual applications for free or reduced-price school meals,” Bonamici said.
“Inevitably, if this rule is implemented, many more low-income students who are eligible for free or reduced-price school meals will not receive the food assistance they desperately need. That is nothing short of a preventable tragedy.”

|
|
FOCUS: MLB Umpire Tweets He's Buying AR-15 to Fight Civil War in Case of Impeachment |
|
|
Written by <a href="index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=34751"><span class="small">Elliot Hannon, Slate</span></a>
|
|
Thursday, 24 October 2019 11:46 |
|
Hannon writes: "Major League umpires, you'd assume, would be sticklers for the rules, but not veteran ump Rob Drake."
Umpire Rob Drake ejects a player during a game at Minute Maid Park in Houston in August 2017. (photo: Troy Taormina/USA TODAY)

MLB Umpire Tweets He's Buying AR-15 to Fight Civil War in Case of Impeachment
By Elliot Hannon, Slate
24 October 19
ajor League umpires, you’d assume, would be sticklers for the rules, but not veteran ump Rob Drake. As the World Series was kicking off in Houston on Tuesday, the 10-year veteran tweeted out his own violent, anarchic thoughts on the impeachment inquiry currently underway in the Capitol. “I will be buying an AR-15 tomorrow, because if you impeach MY PRESIDENT this way, YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER CIVAL WAR!!! #MAGA2020.”
The 50-year-old quickly deleted the tweet, which echoed the far-right “civil war” talking point that has seeped into the brains of the Trumpiest of Americans. The apparent logic being: It’s totally fine, patriotic even, to take up arms against your own country if a call doesn’t go your way. The idea that it is perfectly acceptable to threaten violence is one that the NRA often uses and foments, under the guise of constitutionality. During the Trump presidency, the civil war refrain has gradually made its way from the echo chamber of the white nationalist fringe into the echo chamber of Fox News.
Drake, who first broke into the big leagues as an umpire in 1999 and became a full-timer a decade later, is not involved in the World Series currently underway. MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said the league is aware of and looking into the tweet. Other tweet gems from Drake, who has since deactivated his account, include: “You can’t do an impeachment inquiry from the basement of Capital Hill without even a vote! What is going on in this country?”

|
|
|
FOCUS: Matt Gaetz Brags He Pulled Off Capitol Stunt by Himself, Like a Big Boy |
|
|
Written by <a href="index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=51942"><span class="small">Alexi Cardona, Miami New Times</span></a>
|
|
Thursday, 24 October 2019 11:03 |
|
Cardona writes: "So before diving into Rep. Matt Gaetz's recent shenanigans, it's worth noting he is 37 years old and, seemingly, a fully grown adult man."
Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz. (photo: Andrew Harvik/AP)

Matt Gaetz Brags He Pulled Off Capitol Stunt by Himself, Like a Big Boy
By Alexi Cardona, Miami New Times
24 October 19
hen was the last time you stormed your parents' bedroom in a fit of childish rage for not getting that thing you wanted? When you were a petulant little shit of a 6-year-old, maybe? So before diving into Rep. Matt Gaetz's recent shenanigans, it's worth noting he is 37 years old and, seemingly, a fully grown adult man.
Yesterday the congressman for Florida led a mob of fellow Republicans through a highly secure facility of the U.S. Capitol where Laura Cooper, the Pentagon's top official on Ukraine, was testifying in the impeachment inquiry. The probe revolves around accusations that President Donald Trump enlisted Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden — his political rival — and Biden's son Hunter in exchange for hundreds of millions of dollars in aid to the foreign country. Gaetz whined that, despite long-standing protocols, all members of Congress should be allowed to sit in on Cooper's deposition.
The debacle kicked off with a morning news conference where Gaetz protested what he and other Republican lawmakers believe to be a lack of transparency surrounding the closed-door depositions. Gaetz declared he and his colleagues were "going in there."
CNN reported that Gaetz and his gang of two dozen members of Congress barged into the secure room through three doors. Yelling ensued, and Gaetz's merry band of Republican lawmakers refused to leave. Cooper's deposition was delayed by five hours, but she ultimately gave her testimony.
The room Republicans breached, known as the Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (SCIF), is designed to protect against electronic surveillance and leaks of national security and military information. Smartphones aren't allowed inside SCIFs because their microphones and cameras can be hacked. But several news outlets have reported some members of the Gaetz-led group took their cell phones into the facility.
Only members of the House Intelligence, Foreign Affairs, and Oversight committees — those conducting the impeachment inquiry — were allowed in the secure area. Gaetz and others complained that all members of Congress should be included in the inquiry regardless of the committees on which they serve. Stupidly enough, more than a dozen of the legislators who went along with Gaetz's PR stunt serve on the impeachment-overseeing committees and were allowed to attend the hearing, the Washington Post reported.
Yesterday wasn't the first time Gaetz tried to crash an impeachment deposition. Last week, he was booted from a hearing with Fiona Hill, the president's former adviser on Russia.
His most recent caper came two days after Trump said during a Cabinet meeting that Republicans needed to "get tougher and fight" for him, his presidency, and the GOP. So far, Trump hasn't tweeted about yesterday's events, although he retweeted a couple of video clips from the news conference.
Bloomberg reported that Trump knew of the scheme beforehand and approved of it. Gaetz, meanwhile, bragged he pulled off the stunt all by himself, like a big boy. Either way, he's one of the president's most enthusiastic defenders, and he continues to show there isn't much he won't do for Trump.
Beyond committing the crime of smugness, Gaetz orchestrated a serious breach of national security, according to some experts. Mieke Eoyang, a former staff director on the House Intelligence Committee, tweeted, "I cannot emphasize enough how serious this is."
"In 'storming the SCIF' without observing the security protocols, Rep. Gaetz et al, endangered our national security & demonstrated they care more about a political stunt than protecting intelligence information," she wrote.
As of this morning, #ArrestMattGaetz is still trending on Twitter.

|
|
Here's the Quid Pro Quo Proof, Lindsey Graham |
|
|
Written by <a href="index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=24357"><span class="small">The Washington Post | Editorial</span></a>
|
|
Thursday, 24 October 2019 08:32 |
|
Excerpt: "But Mr. Graham did say the other day that 'if you could show me that, you know, Trump was actually engaging in a quid pro quo, outside the phone call, that would be very disturbing.' We think we can help the South Carolina Republican."
William B. Taylor Jr., the U.S. chargé d'affaires in Ukraine, is escorted by U.S. Capitol Police on Tuesday as he arrives to testify before House committees. (photo: J. Scott Applewhite/AP)

Here's the Quid Pro Quo Proof, Lindsey Graham
By The Washington Post | Editorial
24 October 19
en. Lindsey O. Graham, one of President Trump’s most ardent defenders in the Ukraine affair, has said he sees no evidence of wrongdoing in the president’s July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, during which Mr. Trump pressed for investigations of former vice president Joe Biden and his son and the 2016 hack of the Democratic National Committee, while dangling a White House meeting that Mr. Zelensky wanted. But Mr. Graham did say the other day that “if you could show me that, you know, Trump was actually engaging in a quid pro quo, outside the phone call, that would be very disturbing.”
We think we can help the South Carolina Republican. Evidently he has not followed closely the depositions and documents collected by three House committees from present and former senior administration officials. If he had, he would see they contain clear proof that Mr. Trump, acting directly and through his lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, repeatedly demanded a pledge from Mr. Zelensky to open those political investigations to obtain an Oval Office invitation. There is evidence that U.S. military aid was dependent on the probes, as well.
The chain of evidence begins with the testimony of two State Department officials about a May 23 meeting they had with Mr. Trump to discuss the newly formed government of Mr. Zelensky. Kurt Volker, the administration’s special envoy to Ukraine, and Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, said that the president rejected their appeal to invite Mr. Zelensky to the White House. Instead, said Mr. Volker, Mr. Trump complained that Ukraine was a “corrupt country” that “tried to take me down.”
According to Mr. Sondland, he “directed those of us present .?.?. to talk to Mr. Giuliani .?.?. about his concerns.” Added the ambassador: “It was apparent to all of us that the key to changing the president’s mind on Ukraine was Mr. Giuliani.”
On July 19, Mr. Volker had breakfast with Mr. Giuliani. “He mentioned both the accusations about Vice President Biden and about interference in the 2016 election,” Mr. Volker told Congress, adding that Mr. Giuliani “stressed that all he wanted to see was for Ukraine to investigate what happened in the past.”
Mr. Volker then worked with a top aide to Mr. Zelensky, Andrey Yermak, to set up the July 25 phone call. The morning it took place, Mr. Volker texted Mr. Yermak to clearly lay out the quid pro quo: “Heard from White House-assuming President Z convinces trump he will investigate/‘get to the bottom of what happened’ in 2016, we will nail down date for visit to Washington. Good luck!” During the call, Mr. Trump requested investigations both of the DNC hack and of Mr. Biden; Mr. Zelensky promised to comply; and Mr. Trump seemed to offer a visit to Washington.
Only it turned out the president and his lawyer were not yet satisfied. Around Aug. 7, according to Mr. Volker, Mr. Giuliani called him and Mr. Sondland. When the two ambassadors raised Mr. Zelensky’s pending White House visit, “Mayor Giuliani then said he believed the Ukrainian president needed to make a statement about fighting corruption, and that he had discussed it with Mr. Yermak,” Mr. Volker testified. The Ukrainians duly produced a draft statement that was “generic” about corruption, Mr. Volker said — only to have it rejected by Mr. Giuliani, who said that “the statement should include specific reference to ‘Burisma’ and ‘2016.’?” Burisma was the gas company that Mr. Biden’s son Hunter was associated with.
Mr. Volker said he “edited the draft statement by Mr. Yermak to include these points.” On Aug. 10, he received a text from Mr. Yermak saying: “I think it’s possible to make this declaration and mention all these things. .?.?. But it will be logic to do after we receive a confirmation of date.” Again, the trade-off of a White House meeting for a promise to investigate the Bidens and the DNC was explicit.
William B. Taylor Jr., the U.S. chargé d’affaires in Kyiv, also knew about the demand for a public statement. On Tuesday, he testified that Mr. Sondland had told him he had heard about the requirement directly from Mr. Trump. Mr. Taylor also said Mr. Sondland had told him he had been wrong to tell the Ukrainians that only a White House meeting was linked to the statement; in fact, “?‘everything’ was dependent on such an announcement, including security assistance,” Mr. Taylor said. That’s consistent with the news conference last week by White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, who confirmed that the military aid was held up to leverage a Ukrainian investigation — before issuing an unconvincing retraction.
The pressure campaign continued into September. On Sept. 8, Mr. Taylor said, Mr. Sondland informed him that after talking to Mr. Trump, he had told Mr. Zelensky that if he “did not ‘clear things up’ in public, we would be at a ‘stalemate.’?” Added Mr. Taylor: “I understood a ‘stalemate’ to mean that Ukraine would not receive the much-needed military assistance.”
The Ukrainians eventually told Mr. Volker that they did not want to promise investigations of Mr. Biden and the Democrats. The statement, Mr. Volker said, “was shelved.” And Mr. Zelensky never got his White House meeting. U.S. military aid, which Mr. Trump had ordered held up on July 18, was released on Sept. 11 — only after the corrupt quid pro quo was becoming public. By that date, House Democrats had announced that they would investigate whether the aid had been blocked to force Ukraine to assist Mr. Trump’s reelection campaign.
Mr. Graham and some other Republicans would portray the July 25 phone call as an isolated event in which Mr. Trump did not clearly conclude a quid pro quo with Mr. Zelensky. But the evidence presented to Congress shows that the call was part of a process that extended over three months and included repeated and specific demands for Ukraine to undertake political investigations, including of Mr. Trump’s possible 2020 opponent, lodged by Mr. Trump and by the lawyer he told top aides to work with on the deal.
Mr. Graham is himself a lawyer and former military prosecutor. He surely can recognize this corrupt campaign for what it is. The question is whether he, and other Republicans, have the moral courage to do so.

|
|