RSN Fundraising Banner
FB Share
Email This Page
add comment
Print

McGreevy writes: "California on Monday joined Washington and other states as a plaintiff in a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration's latest travel ban as an unconstitutional overreach, state Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra said."

California atty. gen. Xavier Becerra. (photo: Gary Coronado/LA Times)
California atty. gen. Xavier Becerra. (photo: Gary Coronado/LA Times)


California to Join Lawsuit Challenging Trump's Latest Travel Ban

By Patrick McGreevy, The Los Angeles Times

13 March 17

 

alifornia on Monday joined Washington and other states as a plaintiff in a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration's latest travel ban as an unconstitutional overreach, state Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra said.

The lawsuit that California joined Monday says the narrower, temporary ban on travel from six majority-Muslim countries represents unconstitutional religious discrimination. A broader executive order by President Trump had previously been put on hold by the courts.

�Last month, our courts put a lid on the unconstitutional and un-American Trump Muslim travel ban because Americans stood up and demanded it," Becerra said in a statement. "The victory for lawful permanent residents and current visa holders was welcome news for everyone, especially the victims� families. But the fight for fair and lawful treatment of all who would seek permission to enter our country is not over."

California is joining Washington, Maryland, New York, Oregon, Massachusetts and Minnesota in challenging the new travel order. Becerra said the changes made by the administration, which include allowing visa holders to come into the country, do not go far enough.

�The Trump Administration may have changed the text of the now-discredited Muslim travel ban, but they didn�t change its unconstitutional intent and effect," Becerra said. "It is still an attack on people � women and children, professors and business colleagues, seniors and civic leaders � based on their religion and national origin."

The state�s legal brief makes a case that California is harmed by the new travel ban. California is home to more than 10 million immigrants, welcomed almost 8,000 refugees last year, and hosts the greatest number of international students�almost 150,000�of any state, the legal filing says.

The University of Southern California has 150-200 graduate students and post-doctoral scholars from the six affected countries each year.

The president�s executive order �substantially interferes with the continued matriculation of these students to California�s universities and colleges," the lawsuit alleges.

The brief quotes UC President Janet Napolitano as saying the latest executive order�s restrictions on travel are an �anathema to advancing knowledge and international cooperation� and infringe on �the free flow of students, faculty, scholars and researchers that are at the core of the universit[ies�] education, research and public service missions.�

The state also alleges it will be harmed financially, noting the $681 million spent by visitors to California from the Middle East in 2015 generated sales tax of $40.8 million for the state.

�The Second Executive Order will harm California by reducing investment and industry in California and decreasing travel by students, scholars, and tourists,� the legal filing says.


e-max.it: your social media marketing partner
Email This Page

 

Comments  

We are concerned about a recent drift towards vitriol in the RSN Reader comments section. There is a fine line between moderation and censorship. No one likes a harsh or confrontational forum atmosphere. At the same time everyone wants to be able to express themselves freely. We'll start by encouraging good judgment. If that doesn't work we'll have to ramp up the moderation.

General guidelines: Avoid personal attacks on other forum members; Avoid remarks that are ethnically derogatory; Do not advocate violence, or any illegal activity.

Remember that making the world better begins with responsible action.

- The RSN Team

 
0 # DrV 2017-10-15 11:27
I posted the complete Notice to www.gfxtechnology.com/Trump.pdf because the Table in Exhibit A contains proof that Grumman workers should have been covered by the EEOICPA & NSSP since 2001. We continue to be denied benefits. To date, the EEOICPA has paid over $9 billion in medical & death benefits.
 
 
0 # DrV 2017-10-20 00:39
The Citizens Notice to Sue omitted a key material: Grumman's Calverton facility is also a NYS Superfund site, located on the Peconic River that was also used for decades by the infamous Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), a Federal Superfund site, to dilute and transport radioactive effluent from its wastewater treatment plant to the Peconic Bay. This is documented in the BNL Health Assessment and Environmental reports dating back to the second World War. Radiactive groundwater plumes from these Superfund became commingled, and have been contaminating public, private and irrigation wells for decades, as indicated in the tables and USGS maps @ www.gfxtechnology.com/Table-B.pdf. The NYSDEC doesn't test for radionuclides in groundwater, air or soil as mandated by NYS law.Therefore, the duration and extent of these commingled, radioactive plumes is unknown, as well as the number of cancers and other diseases caused in humans, fish or wildlife.
 
 
0 # DrV 2017-10-20 11:12
[quote name="DrV"]Plea se correct this typo by: changing "material" to material fact.
 

THE NEW STREAMLINED RSN LOGIN PROCESS: Register once, then login and you are ready to comment. All you need is a Username and a Password of your choosing and you are free to comment whenever you like! Welcome to the Reader Supported News community.

RSNRSN