RSN Fundraising Banner
FB Share
Email This Page
add comment
Print

Chediak writes: "California regulators imposed the largest penalty for a U.S. natural-gas utility, ordering PG&E Corp. to pay $1.6 billion for failures that led to a deadly 2010 natural gas pipeline explosion in a San Francisco suburb."

PG&E. (photo: AP)
PG&E. (photo: AP)


PG&E Ordered to Pay Record $1.6 Billion for Deadly Gas Blast

By Mark Chediak, Bloomberg

10 April 15

 

alifornia regulators imposed the largest penalty for a U.S. natural-gas utility, ordering PG&E Corp. to pay $1.6 billion for failures that led to a deadly 2010 natural gas pipeline explosion in a San Francisco suburb.

A faulty weld on the pipeline caused an explosion and fire rupture that killed eight people and destroyed 38 homes in San Bruno, California. PG&E, owner of the state�s largest utility, committed 2,425 violations of safety rules in the decades leading up to the incident. The company still faces as much as $1.13 billion in federal criminal fines for the blast and has committed to spend $2.8 billion to improve pipeline safety.

The California Public Utilities Commission voted 4-0 for the penalty at a meeting in San Francisco Thursday. The agency has been criticized by local officials for its response to the incident -- two members recused themselves from voting on the fine after improper e-mails with PG&E executives were made public. The U.S. Attorney�s office in San Francisco and California�s attorney general are investigating communications between the company�s Pacific Gas & Electric utility and the commission.

�Although the decision is an important milestone, it sounds like the legacy of San Bruno will live on at PG&E and the PUC as the agency plans to continue to investigate the company�s operations for some time to come,� Paul Patterson, a New York-based utility analyst for Glenrock Associates LLC, said in a telephone interview.

The San Francisco-based company had warned that an earlier staff-proposed fine of $2.25 billion would push it to the edge of bankruptcy. Since the tragedy, PG&E has replaced its chief executive officer, frozen its dividend and separated its gas business from its power operations to improve safety.

Too Big?

�We are deeply sorry for this tragic event and we have dedicated ourselves to re-earning the trust of our customers and the communities we serve,� PG&E Chairman and CEO Tony Earley said in a statement. �While we obviously need to review the orders in their entirety before making a final decision, we do not expect to appeal today�s rulings.�

PG&E fell 1.6 percent to $52.78 at the close in New York.

Michael Picker, who took over as president of the commission this year, proposed the $1.6 billion penalty after an agency judge recommended $1.4 billion. Picker questioned whether the company was too big to make adequate changes, saying its response to the need for safety measures was uneven.

�Is the organization simply too large -- spread across a sizable portion of a large state, and encompassing diverse functions such as both gas transmission and gas distribution, as well as electric service -- to succeed at safety?� Picker said. He called for a probe into PG&E�s safety culture.

Commissioner Recusals

Under the order approved Thursday, PG&E will pay $300 million to the state, refund $400 million to its gas customers and spend $850 million on infrastructure improvements that can�t be recovered in rates. The $1.4 billion penalty recommendation from the administrative law judge included a $950 million state fine.

�Our decision to use a mix of penalties and remedies is based on our intention to penalize PG&E for its violations and to deter similar behavior and violations in the future,� Picker wrote in the order. A larger fine would result in higher costs for PG&E customers, he said.

Former President Michael Peevey and Commissioner Michael Florio recused themselves after e-mails surfaced last year that included PG&E requests to change judges for a rate proceeding. The city of San Bruno sued the agency to release correspondence between the utility and the commission. Victims of the blast included a member of the commission staff and her 13-year-old daughter.

�Gross Misconduct�

The explosion was the result of �gross misconduct by PG&E and lax oversight by this commission,� San Bruno Mayor Jim Ruane told the commissioners before the vote.

�I blame PG&E for the deaths of my family,� Sue Bullis, a resident of San Bruno who lost her husband, her son and her mother-in-law in the blast, said at the meeting. �I have no confidence in the infrastructure underground, those who operate it and, I have to say, the CPUC which has acted with indifference over the past five years.�

e-max.it: your social media marketing partner
Email This Page

 

Comments  

We are concerned about a recent drift towards vitriol in the RSN Reader comments section. There is a fine line between moderation and censorship. No one likes a harsh or confrontational forum atmosphere. At the same time everyone wants to be able to express themselves freely. We'll start by encouraging good judgment. If that doesn't work we'll have to ramp up the moderation.

General guidelines: Avoid personal attacks on other forum members; Avoid remarks that are ethnically derogatory; Do not advocate violence, or any illegal activity.

Remember that making the world better begins with responsible action.

- The RSN Team

 
+12 # Texas Aggie 2016-04-14 09:41
That the fossil fuel industry is engaged in chicanery sort of goes without saying. When the head of one of the coal companies gets the maximum sentence possible for deliberate deception about safety measures, one doesn't need anything more to realize that those boys don't play by the same rules as decent people.
 
 
+14 # elkingo 2016-04-14 11:22
"O Daddy won't you take me down to Muhlenberg County, Down by the Green River where Paradise lay.//I'sorry my son but you're too late in askin" / Mr. Peabody's coal train done hauled it away...

Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel / And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land / Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken/
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man." JOHN PRINE!
 
 
-9 # MidwestTom 2016-04-14 19:44
Tell me if you employed 45,000 people and new government regulations were going to put you out of business, would you fight them, or simply tell all of your employees they are laid off right now? Of course Peabody fought the regulations, and one of the reasons was that their EMPLOYEES wanted them to. Get real.
 
 
+5 # Lgfoot 2016-04-15 10:44
It's one thing to fight regulations, quite another to engage in character assassination of researchers and the dissemination of known falsehoods to mislead the public about the truth of what is happening as a direct result of their business. Thousands of people are dying in India as we correspond, due to extreme heat. Drought is causing the starvation and displacement of millions. The intentional distortion of the truth for profit which results in death and destruction should be prosecuted at the Hague.
 
 
+2 # Dust 2016-04-15 15:21
So by your moral compass, lying and fraud are perfectly acceptable.
 
 
+5 # PABLO DIABLO 2016-04-14 20:45
You are one cold-hearted dude Midwest Tom. Oh, of course the miners didn't mind lung problems, explosions killing fellow miners, complete destruction of their land, children's sicknesses, they were just so happy to have a job.
 

THE NEW STREAMLINED RSN LOGIN PROCESS: Register once, then login and you are ready to comment. All you need is a Username and a Password of your choosing and you are free to comment whenever you like! Welcome to the Reader Supported News community.

RSNRSN