Leyden writes: "All the remaining Snowden documents will be released next month, according to whistle-blowing site Cryptome, which said in a tweet that the release of the info by unnamed third parties would be necessary to head off an unnamed 'war.'"
Edward Snowden. (illustration: Jason Seiler/TIME)
Remaining Snowden Documents to Be Released to Avert 'Unspecified US War'
01 July 14
�
ll the remaining Snowden documents will be released next month, according t?o? whistle-blowing site ?Cryptome, which said in a tweet that the release of the info by unnamed third parties would be necessary to head off an unnamed "war".?
?Cryptome? said it would "aid and abet" the release of "57K to 1.7M" new documents that had been "withheld for national security-public debate [sic]".
The site clarified that will not be publishing the documents itself.
Transparency activists would welcome such a release but such a move would be heavily criticised by inteligence agencies and military officials, who argue that Snowden's dump of secret documents has set US and allied (especially British) intelligence efforts back by years.
As things stand, the flow of Snowden disclosures is controlled by those who have access to the Sn?o?wden archive, which might possibly include Snowden confidants such as Glenn Greenwald and Laura Poitras. In some cases, even when these people release information to mainstream media organisations, it is then suppressed by these organisations after negotiation with the authorities. (In one such case, some key facts were later revealed by the Register.)
"July is when war begins unless headed off by Snowden full release of crippling intel. After war begins not a chance of release," Cryptome tweeted on its official feed.
"Warmongerers are on a rampage. So, yes, citizens holding Snowden docs will do the right thing," it said.
"For more on Snowden docs release in July watch for Ellsberg, special guest and others at HOPE, July 18-20: http://www.hope.net/schedule.html," it added.
HOPE (Hackers On Planet Earth) is a well-regarded and long-running hacking conference organised by 2600 magazine. Previous speakers at the event have included Kevin Mitnick, Steve Wozniak and Jello Biafra.
In other developments, ?Cryptome? has started a Kickstarter fund to release its entire archive in the form of a USB stick archive. It wants t?o? raise $100,000 to help it achieve its goal. More than $14,000 has already been raised.
The funding drive follows a dispute between ?Cryptome? and its host Network Solutions, which is owned by web.com. Access to the site was bl?o?cked f?o?ll?o?wing a malware infection last week. ?Cryptome? f?o?under J?o?hn Y?o?ung criticised the host, claiming it had ?o?ver-reacted and had been sl?o?w t?o? rest?o?re access t?o? the site, which ?Cryptome? criticised as a form of cens?o?rship.
In resp?o?nse, ?Cryptome? plans to more widely distribute its content across multiple sites as well as releasing the planned USB stick archive.
THE NEW STREAMLINED RSN LOGIN PROCESS: Register once, then login and you are ready to comment. All you need is a Username and a Password of your choosing and you are free to comment whenever you like! Welcome to the Reader Supported News community. |
Comments
We are concerned about a recent drift towards vitriol in the RSN Reader comments section. There is a fine line between moderation and censorship. No one likes a harsh or confrontational forum atmosphere. At the same time everyone wants to be able to express themselves freely. We'll start by encouraging good judgment. If that doesn't work we'll have to ramp up the moderation.
General guidelines: Avoid personal attacks on other forum members; Avoid remarks that are ethnically derogatory; Do not advocate violence, or any illegal activity.
Remember that making the world better begins with responsible action.
- The RSN Team
I make the following points:
1. The US military should never have invaded Afghanistan --it should have been a police action at best.
2. The Taliban had offered to deliver Osama to a neutral country for trial after evidence was presented -- apparently this offer(s) was summarily rejected.
3.The Bush administration abandoned Afghanistan to invade Iraq for no good reason.
4. After 20 years, the Taliban occupied approximately 75% of the land area. Thus, the rapid takeover of the country should not have come as a surprise.
5. The lack of planning for the end of occupation can be attributed to the military leadership which lied its way through the "war" may reflect their desire to stay.
6. To the best of my knowledge The Taliban has never attacked US assets outside the boundary of Afghanistan and therefore was/is not a threat to US security. Unfortunately, this may now change.
Peace,
Herb