RSN Fundraising Banner
FB Share
Email This Page
add comment
Print

Abdul-Jabbar writes: "When the Ku Klux Klan burns a cross in a black family's yard, Christians aren't required to explain how these aren't really Christian acts."

Activist, filmmaker and author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. (photo: Charlie Rose/PBS)
Activist, filmmaker and author Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. (photo: Charlie Rose/PBS)


These Terrorist Attacks Are Not About Religion

By Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, TIME

10 January 15

 

nother horrendous act of terrorism has taken place and people like myself who are on media speed-dial under “Celebrity Muslims” are thrust in the spotlight to angrily condemn, disavow, and explain—again—how these barbaric acts are in no way related to Islam.

For me, religion—no matter which one—is ultimately about people wanting to live humble, moral lives that create a harmonious community and promote tolerance and friendship with those outside the religious community. Any religious rules should be in service of this goal. The Islam I learned and practice does just that.

Violence committed in the name of religion is never about religion—it’s ultimately about money. The 1976 movie, All the President’s Men, got it right when it reduced the Daedalus maze of the Watergate scandal to the simple phrase, “Follow the money.” Forget the goons who actually carry out these deadly acts, they are nothing more than automated drones remote-controlled by others. Instead of radio signals, their pilots use selective dogma to manipulate their actions. They pervert the Qur’an through omission and false interpretation.

How is it about money? When one looks at the goal of these terrorist attacks, it’s clearly not about scaring us into changing our behavior. The Twin Tower attacks of 9/11 didn’t frighten America into embracing Islam. The fatwa against Salman Rushdie didn’t prevent the publication of The Satanic Verses. Like all terrorist attacks on the West, they just strengthen our defiant resolve. So the attack in Paris, as with most others, isn’t about changing Western behavior, it’s about swaggering into a room, flexing a muscle, and hoping to elicit some admiring sighs. In this case, the sighs are more recruits and more donations to keep their organization alive. They have to keep proving they are more relevant than their competing terrorist groups. It’s just business.

Nor should we blame America’s foreign policy as the spark that lights the fuse. Poverty, political oppression, systemic corruption, lack of education, lack of critical thinking, and general hopelessness in these countries is the spark. Yes, we’ve made mistakes that will be used to justify recruiting new drones. But we shouldn’t kid ourselves that the recent report detailing our extensive and apparently ineffective use of torture caused any kind of mass terrorist volunteers. The world knew we tortured. The only thing the report revealed was how bad we were at it. More important, if recruits were swayed by logical idealism, they would realize that the fact that we conducted, released, and debated such a report is what makes America admirable. We don’t always do the right thing, but we strive to. We admit our faults and make adjustments. It may be glacial, but it’s movement forward.

Knowing that these terrorist attacks are not about religion, we have to reach a point where we stop bringing Islam into these discussions. I know we aren’t there yet because much of the Western population doesn’t understand the Islamic religion. All they see are brutal beheadings, kidnappings of young girls, bloody massacres of children at schools, and these random shootings. Naturally, they are frightened when they hear the word Muslim or see someone in traditional Muslim clothing. Despite any charitable impulses, they also have to be thinking, “Better safe than sorry”—as they hurry in the opposite direction.

When the Ku Klux Klan burn a cross in a black family’s yard, prominent Christians aren’t required to explain how these aren’t really Christian acts. Most people already realize that the KKK doesn’t represent Christian teachings. That’s what I and other Muslims long for—the day when these terrorists praising Mohammed or Allah’s name as they debase their actual teachings are instantly recognized as thugs disguising themselves as Muslims. It’s like bank robbers wearing masks of presidents; we don’t really think Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush hit the Bank of America during their down time.

We can’t end terrorism any more than we can end crime in general. Ironically, terrorism is actually an act against the very religion they claim to believe in. It’s an acknowledgement that the religion and its teachings aren’t enough to convince people to follow it. Any religion that requires coercion is not about the community, but about the leaders wanting power.

I look forward to the day when an act of terrorism by self-proclaimed Muslims will be universally dismissed as nothing more than a criminal attack of a thuggish political organization wearing an ill-fitting Muslim mask. To get to that point, we will need to teach our communities what the real beliefs of Islam are. In the meantime, keep my name on speed-dial so we can get through this together.


e-max.it: your social media marketing partner
 

Comments   

A note of caution regarding our comment sections:

For months a stream of media reports have warned of coordinated propaganda efforts targeting political websites based in the U.S., particularly in the run-up to the 2016 presidential election.

We too were alarmed at the patterns we were, and still are, seeing. It is clear that the provocateurs are far more savvy, disciplined, and purposeful than anything we have ever experienced before.

It is also clear that we still have elements of the same activity in our article discussion forums at this time.

We have hosted and encouraged reader expression since the turn of the century. The comments of our readers are the most vibrant, best-used interactive feature at Reader Supported News. Accordingly, we are strongly resistant to interrupting those services.

It is, however, important to note that in all likelihood hardened operatives are attempting to shape the dialog our community seeks to engage in.

Adapt and overcome.

Marc Ash
Founder, Reader Supported News

 
-185 # brux 2015-01-10 19:24
> how these barbaric acts are in no way related to Islam.

I think there are a billion Muslims that interpret Islam NOT the way Kareem does. Why does he think he is such a powerful celebrity that he along can define what Islam really is, just because he says it is?

> For me, religion—no matter which one—is ultimately about people wanting to live humble, moral lives that create a harmonious community and promote tolerance and friendship with those outside the religious community.

Good words, and then he tries again to divorce this from Islam because he personally is not that kind of Muslims.

Balderdash, that is not the point.

Nor is the KKK the point. The KKK never lynched a innocent person or bombed a church saying glory to God. Just because the KKK existed in a Christian culture did not make it Christian, and it is self-evident that Christianity was not connected to or involved with the KKK.

This is not true with many Muslim clerics or the 40% of Muslims polled, including Kareem's fellow celebrity Cat Steven's, or Yuself Islam, who still maintains that the Koran says it is fine it not demanded to avenge insults against the prophet.

I really wonder why Abdul-Jabbar bothers to write these cliche articles that were out of date 10 or more years ago?

I am happy KAJ is a peaceful civilized Muslim and if I was Muslim I'd go to his Mosque and call him brother, but it would be irrelevant to what ia hsppening in the rest of the world.
 
 
+139 # DaveM 2015-01-10 23:23
As it happens, the Ku Klux Klan bills itself as a "Christian organization".

I won't even bother listing some of the assorted wars, pogroms, and yes, terrorist attacks that have been carried out in the name of Christianity.

Mind, I do not regard the Klan or those responsible for any of the atrocities alluded to above as practicing Christians.
 
 
-117 # brux 2015-01-11 01:23
Whatever, the claim that Christianity is equal to Islam just doesn't hold water.
 
 
+5 # kalpal 2015-01-11 09:56
Most of modern Christianity, but far from all, has moved away from murder and mayhem as a means of establishing hegemony. Islam, in its most exterme forms, desires to regress to essentially a never existed golden age in which Islam was benevolent yet grossly repressive and violent. By the 9th century Islam mostly ceased to permit looking forward and began its lengthy dark age and is currently trying to exclude any enlightenment from dispelling the darkness.
 
 
+53 # Inspired Citizen 2015-01-11 07:29
The attack on Charlie Hebdo occurred for a complex of reasons, and Islam is the tool used to address the complex which includes the American Empire. The empire, working in sequence after the British Empire, has penetrated the Middle East politically, economically and culturally. The attacks on the West are attempts to eject that penetration.

Symbolism matters, and the reactionary Islamists have demanded that Mohammed NOT be depicted, much like American blacks have demanded a cessation of the use of the N-word.

Even the far right (Beck, Hannity, Palin, Cruz, et al) do not use the N-word because it's politically toxic. It's politically incorrect. It's an indicator of racism. It's perfectly legal, but it's wrong.

Je ne suis pas Charlie. Why not? Because if we want peace, we have to stop gratuitously insulting people we don't understand. It's perfectly legal to depict Mohammed, but just because it can be done does not mean it should be done.

Depicting Mohammed as Charlie Hebdo was is bigotry, not unlike using the N-word. It's a practice that should stop, not out of fear, but out of respect for Islam.

Coupled with evacuating the Middle East and allowing them to sort out their own problems would represent a new foreign policy, but the one in place is a war policy, not a peace plan.
 
 
+20 # bpuharic 2015-01-11 08:07
Oh what trash. Islam was an imperialist religion from its founding and Muslims conquered much of Europe hundreds of years before western Europeans made colonies of Arab countries. If Islam and Xtianity can't handle blasphemy that's their problem not ours. People make fun of those religions and your view is that KILLING people is a proper response to a CARTOON??
 
 
+16 # Inspired Citizen 2015-01-11 13:05
My view is that people should no more depict the Prophet Mohammed than they should use the N-word. It is offensive and will provoke violence again no matter how much we condemn "KILLING people [as] a proper response to a CARTOON."
 
 
+14 # kalpal 2015-01-11 10:00
The actual war is within Islam. Those who wish to look to an enlightened future being attacked by those who insist that violent regression can and must be Islam's sole saving grace.
 
 
+27 # JoanF 2015-01-11 10:38
"Je ne suis pas Charlie. Why not? Because if we want peace, we have to stop gratuitously insulting people we don't understand. It's perfectly legal to depict Mohammed, but just because it can be done does not mean it should be done."
It also provides an excuse for a terrorist attach which, as Kareem correctly states, is a recruitment tool for their cause. Here's an article that goes into more depth on this analysis. http://www.thenation.com/blog/194465/whats-real-reason-al-qaeda-attacked-charlie-hebdo?
 
 
+7 # Cassandra2012 2015-01-11 17:30
so , you're advocating for self-censorship ?Does that go for insulting e.g., Jews, Hindus, Christians, Zoroastrians, obnoxious misogynists?
 
 
-38 # brux 2015-01-11 10:40
No one shoots anyone for using the N-word in the West, they are just shunned and disliked for the most part.

Why do your kind of people always try to justify terrible stuff in Islamic countries by finding some really light-weight parallel in the West and lying about it?
 
 
+55 # Mattie 2015-01-11 00:07
What is your point? Specifically, which of Mr. Abdul-Jabbar's comments was "out-of-date" 10 years ago?
 
 
+21 # Mattie 2015-01-11 00:13
Apologies Dave. My previous post was intended for brux.
 
 
-73 # brux 2015-01-11 01:50
The tired attempt at saying that Islam is peaceful because a few people like Kareem say they cannot relate to old Eastern Islamic religion. That is an irrelevant point.
 
 
+25 # kalpal 2015-01-11 10:04
The religion is peaceful. Its adherents rarely are. Justifying murder and mayhem in defense of apparently an impotent and indifferent Allah is a political act not a religious one. Is Allah responsible for the actions of the West? Is Allah responsible for the grossly corrupt rulers in Islamic nations? Is Allah at fault for Muslims being intentionally poorly educated and impoverished by their brethern?
 
 
+78 # Billy Bob 2015-01-11 01:11
What is happening in the rest of the world is a battle between a part of the 3rd world that is still in the Dark Ages, dealing with a greedy society a few thousand miles away with designs on stealing its resources.

Both sides are acting the way they do:

-The greedy are acting greedy (the only god of the west appears to be the dollar).

-The Dark Ages barbarians are acting like barbarians (the only god they appear to be associated with is the god of revenge, and ignorance).

-----

None of this has anything to do with Islam or Christianity.

-----

You, yourself, get your panties in a wad every time someone says anything against the barbarous actions of the State of Israel. You consider this "anti-Semitism" . It's your attempt to shut off all debate and discussion on the subject, with a perpetual "Get out of jail free" card, only bestowed on Israel. How would you feel if the people angry at their actions, further accused them of doing these acts, strictly due to their inferior religion? Yeah, I thought so.

You claim the exclusive right to insult other people's religious beliefs and lay the blame for the worst actions of criminals at their feet. How do you feel about Holocaust deniers who claim there's a "worldwide Jewish conspiracy to enslave our economy"? That's a few hundred year old piece of bullshit that resulted in some pretty horrific murder in the early part of the last century.

What gives you the right to spout the same bullshit now?
 
 
-67 # brux 2015-01-11 01:26
It is what it is bro ... you refuse to see both sides of this.

If you want to ask me a question, fine, but these impossible to parse rhetorical are impossible to answer.
 
 
+14 # Billy Bob 2015-01-12 02:45
Less of a question than a comment about your hypocrisy. If you want to respond, fine, but it's impossible to take you seriously when you're incapable of actually dealing with what I said.
 
 
+23 # Glen 2015-01-11 07:47
Billy, it is a myth and stereotype to refer to the Middle East as existing in the Dark Ages, and if you consider them to be a 3rd world area, ask yourself why that is. In light of the height of civilization achieved there in the past it is bogus to put them down with that label.

That part of the world has been attacked, manipulated, raped, borders re-written, societies pitted against one another that at one time had made peace in territories. So there is no wonder at least Iraq, Afghanistan especially are destroyed and struggling.

Ever been to Iran or any other country similar. I doubt that citizens there would accept a third world label.
 
 
-20 # kalpal 2015-01-11 10:06
Allah has abandoned those who worshipped him with the exception of the oil barons. Allah insists that Muslims must be poor and poorly educated in their homelands. That is what infuriates Muslims.
 
 
-15 # brux 2015-01-11 10:38
In the last weeks several teenagers almost were executed, then lashed, then jailed for making and posting a video on Facebook singing along with a Western song, "Happy".

At the same time another gentleman was arrested and put on trial for his life because he posted online something that the clerics said was critical of Mohammed.

Quit mincing words and pretending ... you think anyone wants to live that way?

Europe had a lot of military conquest as well, much of the world has had all the problems you cited, and yet democracy and secularism developed in the West and the value of it was understood.

It would be too in the Islamic countries, except force is used to repress and oppress their people so they have nothing to say about their lives. That does not even consider non-Muslims.
 
 
+17 # harleysch 2015-01-11 20:52
"...yet democracy and secularism developed in the West and the value of it was understood."

Yes, but we also had Hitler and Nazism, which killed more people, systematically, than the modern jihadists have.

Further, many of the problems in the Middle East stem from European colonialism, going back in modern times to the British Arab Bureau in Cairo, Sykes-Picot, British-U.S. intervention in Iran in 1954, etc.

You might note that Saudi Arabia, a nation which bankrolls terrorists, while carrying out the kinds of attacks on its own people you described above, has been called by our last two Presidents our "closest ally" in the region. And both Bush and Obama have done their best to cover up the Saudi role in 9/11.
 
 
+72 # tingletlc 2015-01-11 01:49
Quoting brux:
>The KKK never lynched a innocent person or bombed a church saying glory to God. Just because the KKK existed in a Christian culture did not make it Christian, and it is self-evident that Christianity was not connected to or involved with the KKK.


Really..? What do you reckon the burning crosses are all about?
 
 
-71 # brux 2015-01-11 02:10
Terror, just like with Islam. It is just in this case 40% of Muslims around the world say it is justifiable to murder people who insult the prophet, while most Christians never really backed up the KKK.

Still don't get it, guess I can't help you.
 
 
+46 # lobdillj 2015-01-11 05:42
Brux, Have you noticed the down votes your posts are getting? That gives me a glimmer of hope.
 
 
-51 # brux 2015-01-11 10:33
Are you part of Al-Qaeda then?
 
 
+27 # Radscal 2015-01-11 13:33
LOL.

You're either with the brux or you're with the terrorists.

One way to avoid being satirized is to be such a caricature yourself.
 
 
-24 # brux 2015-01-11 16:52
> You're either with the brux or you're with the terrorists.

Oh, here you are either against Brux of not even human. I've read the comments about me all over here as people go negative and name-calling instead of thinking about what I've said.

Over and over I ask for logical rebuttal ... not seeing it.

There is just not much to say for Islam, so like Islam all over the world, when in doubt throw a violent temper tantrum, insult, attack, or otherwise get nasty.
 
 
+1 # bmiluski 2015-01-14 09:13
But don't you see.. lobdillj.., that is exactly what brux wants. He's a troll and he collects negative votes. Why else would he post what he does.
 
 
+57 # Glen 2015-01-11 07:28
Wow, brux. Amazing that you think the KKK didn't kill or maim innocents, much less any other organization related to them, even outside the south. I knew an older woman from South Dakota who could remember two little black children being burned alive in their front yard because her parents were teaching them to read. In a Christian community, and there was no protests against it.

If so many Muslims are hellbent, carrying the attitude you ascribe to them, why are there not thousands making moves to terrify or forming an actual army, or blowing up malls? You simply do not know very many Muslims.
 
 
+37 # Kootenay Coyote 2015-01-11 08:29
'The KKK never lynched a innocent person....'

Why do you expect this nonsense to be believed?
 
 
+23 # RevOleson 2015-01-11 09:03
When you have some time...Read a book.
 
 
+41 # ericlipps 2015-01-11 09:44
Quoting brux:
> how these barbaric acts are in no way related to Islam.

I think there are a billion Muslims that interpret Islam NOT the way Kareem does.

Since there are estimated to be about a billion Muslims in the world, you're basically saying that every single one of them is a mad killer (except--possib ly--Kareem Abdul-Jabbar), and is that way because of that religion (or follows that religion because he or she is a mad killer).

That's a nice justification for a genocidal crusade. Is that what you want? (By the way, the word "crusade" means exactly the same as "jihad"--a war for the faith aimed at killing, subjugating or forcibly converting unbelievers. Only the faith involved is different.)

As for the KKK, you know nothing. The Klan made, and still makes (yes, it's still out there) a big point of its Christianity, which is why, from its revival in 1915 on, it's been anti-Semitic as well as anti-black. Also its patriotism, though all the Confederate flags kind of dull that point. Klansmen have always insisted they're doing God's work.
 
 
-10 # kalpal 2015-01-11 10:10
1.6 billion muslims not just a billion. Has anyone noticed that there is no great rush to emigrate into any Muslim country and enjoy the Muslim lifestyle under Sharia law and islamic rule?
 
 
-23 # The Voice of Reason 2015-01-11 09:55
Actually, the difference is that it is the Islamic religious leaders who foment, support, pay for, direct, and carry out this terroristic plan to destablize governments and frighten citizens. So it IS about Islam. This 'handful' of terrorists idea is a well trained army that number well into the thousands and hundreds of thousands with millions of secret admirers who hide and deny their support with lies.

At some point we should probably look to the religious Books for a solution or at least a warning, after all that's what prophecy is, foretelling events. In fact, the name Palestine is not in the Qur'an, and in the Bible the Philistines were and always are the enemies of God. So why Muslims would align themselves with the enemies of God is telling of their true nature.

What is mentioned is "a Mosque built for mischief, infidelity, and to disunite the faithful, and in anticipation of him who, in days past, warred against God and his Apostle." This is in the Qur'an and in the days of Muhammad He acknowledges the complete corruption of His followers. Good luck, people. It is better to abandon this religion than try to reform it.
 
 
+32 # randrjwr 2015-01-11 10:00
Quoting Brux: "Nor is the KKK the point. The KKK never lynched a innocent person or bombed a church saying glory to God. Just because the KKK existed in a Christian culture did not make it Christian, and it is self-evident that Christianity was not connected to or involved with the KKK."

Then, how come they burned so many crosses in front of black people's houses?

Is Islam somehow "worse" than Christianity? It depends on the believer. Kareem starts by saying "For me, religion—no matter which one—is ultimately about people wanting to live humble, moral lives that create a harmonious community and promote tolerance and friendship with those outside the religious community. Any religious rules should be in service of this goal. The Islam I learned and practice does just that." Can our so-called "Christian Right," in and out of our "Government," make any claim to that attitude?

Not from what I see.
 
 
-41 # brux 2015-01-11 10:31
What a convoluted pile of steaming dishonesty that is.

The Islam you learned may claim to be very peaceful, though I doubt it.

If it really was peaceful it would not have taken over 10 years for a few Islamic leaders to start to criticize the extremists. Of course Muslims know Muslims better than most of the rest of the world, at least the West, and they know that if they are critical of Islam it won't matter they are Muslims, other Muslims will go to war on them just the same.

Muslims are the number one cause of death of other Muslims, even considering US military action.

But, randrjwr, doesn't care about that, it is still more of a priority for him to attack Christianity. That is violence right there, violence to the truth, lying in the service of terrorism, and that is why this article doesn't make any valid point.

Islam is not a religion of peace, it is a religion of violence and conquest, intolerance, oppression and domination.

Yes, it would be wonderful is Islam could go through a reformation of sorts, but the bad parts of Islam are too far ingrained in too many countries to be challenged, except fro without by military and economic force.
 
 
+21 # randrjwr 2015-01-11 15:50
Brux:

I am NOT attacking Christianity; I refer to those who claim to be Christian but who act otherwise toward their fellow human beings. I believe the essence of Christianity is embodied in the words attributed to Jesus (may not be exact quote, but close, I think): "Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me." Are the conservatives who claim to be Christian but want to cut off the livelihood, i.e., food stamps, health care, unemployment insurance, medicare, social security, etc., of less fortunate people while preserving and even increasing their own tax breaks, tax dodges and subsidies, acting in a Christian way? We should not condemn Christianity because of the behavior of the likes of Paul Ryan, Rick Santorum, et al. (not to mention those who invade the funerals of our war dead and hurl insults at the mourners) and we shouldn't condemn all of Islam because of the actions of their extremists.
 
 
-22 # brux 2015-01-11 16:45
>>. Are the conservatives who claim to be Christian but want to cut off the livelihood, i.e., food stamps, health care, unemployment insurance, medicare, social security, etc., of less fortunate people while preserving and even increasing their own tax breaks, tax dodges and subsidies, acting in a Christian way?

I have no idea. I have no idea there are Christians saying they are doing that or that if they are it is based on Christianity in any way.

Nor, if it was claimed that all Christian real responsible leaders would disavow that action.

So we should disavow socialism because of those who claimed to be socialist, like Hitler? Right?
 
 
+8 # randrjwr 2015-01-11 19:33
Quoting brux:
>>. Are the conservatives who claim to be Christian but want to cut off the livelihood, i.e., food stamps, health care, unemployment insurance, medicare, social security, etc., of less fortunate people while preserving and even increasing their own tax breaks, tax dodges and subsidies, acting in a Christian way?

I have no idea. I have no idea there are Christians saying they are doing that or that if they are it is based on Christianity in any way.

Nor, if it was claimed that all Christian real responsible leaders would disavow that action.

So we should disavow socialism because of those who claimed to be socialist, like Hitler? Right?


You lost me, brux. You seem not to have understood what I said and I certainly don't understand what you are saying. Perhaps you could rewrite it for clarity? I am certainly NOT saying anyone should disavow Christianity because of the actions of the conservatives who claim to be Christian, yet seem unwilling to show any charity for the unfortunates. I am saying that many people who say they are Christian don't act accordingly just as many people who say they follow Islam act in a much more extreme way than do millions of others who follow Islam. We should not condemn them all and we should consider the unjust, and distinctly non-Christian, acts we have committed that contribute to the anger of the extremists. Surely you can think of a few.
 
 
+16 # randrjwr 2015-01-11 19:41
By the way, brux, concerning your question, "So we should disavow socialism because of those who claimed to be socialist, like Hitler? Right?": Hitler was a Fascist, not a Socialist. Furthermore, the rich and powerful in this country seem to embrace very warmly the Socialism that exists for them right now, including subsidies for the agriculture industry (while food stamps for the needy were being drastically cut), subsidies for energy corporations, and the bail-out of the banks, which essentially socialized the losses while the profits leading up to the crash remained very much privatized.
 
 
0 # Ray Kondrasuk 2015-01-14 06:35
"Nazi" is short for Nationalsoziali smus, or "National Socialism".
 
 
+9 # bmiluski 2015-01-12 11:29
Religion has nothing to do with god. Religion is about power and control.
 
 
-24 # jazzman633 2015-01-11 12:58
Well said, as always, Brux.

"Moderate/liber al" Muslims still read from the same holy book, the same piece of mediaeval garbage -- they all do -- and they take it literally or, by selective reading and spin, they make it mean whatever they want.
 
 
-20 # brux 2015-01-11 16:49
Yeah, personally I don't see, nor have I need shown a lot of beautiful sentiment in the Koran.

The other thing is that Mohammed is the only religious leader I know of who was a conquering general?

Islam is a low-tech oppression & repression driven society to create brainwashed solidiers who fight for their religious authority figures with no regard to their earthly bodies. This form of Islam is a barbaric inhuman machine to be fought.

The reason I think we don't see more objection from the mainstream Muslims is that they don't really see that much difference in their Islam and this terrorist machine, so they are confused and searching, not wanting of course to undercut their own culture.

But, they have to be thinking. All of them except Kareem maybe? ;-)
 
 
+8 # bmiluski 2015-01-12 14:45
Oh brux there you go again. Spitting out drek without anything to back it up.

"....Mohammed is the only religious leader I know of who was a conquering general?"

Have you ever heard of King David? NO? Then maybe you should do some reading before you do drek spouting.

"The biblical King David of Israel was known for his diverse skills as both a warrior and a writer of psalms. In his 40 years as ruler, between approximately 1010 and 970 B.C.E., he united the people of Israel, led them to victory in battle,and conquered lands."
 
 
+8 # politicfix 2015-01-12 11:42
We witness "Christian" people constantly criticizing people who do not subscribe to their traditional Christian beliefs. Fox's O'Reilly's rhetoric that this country was built on Judaea Christian beliefs, which is incorrect, but millions of Christians who watch Fox believe that & insist they are the only true religion, and they negate and promote hate for every other religion. The rhetoric is divisive, critical, judgmental, and hateful. Pres. Obama can't even convince his own country that he is a Christian and not a Muslim. Religion has been an underlying issue in many wars beginning in England and the Crusades. Christians wants the power to dictate abortion, gay marriage, women, race, and how the country should be run right from the pulpits and media. Based on religion,our country is obligated to defend Israel no matter what they do, right or wrong. Christians and Jews believe Israel is the "holy land",& it must be defended at any cost. So, Israel can do whatever it wants based on religion. We invaded Iraq and now the US is being invaded by the Muslim community whether it means fighting the US, or taking over sectors of our country. Americans are afraid to go into those sectors of the US because of Muslim terrorists. How do you know if they are peaceful or terrorist Muslims within a community? Women can wear robes covering everything but their eyes. Do they have weapons under their garb? We don't know. They don't speak the language and that puts American citizens in danger,
 
 
+2 # Ray Kondrasuk 2015-01-14 06:38
Mahatma Ghandi said something like "Christianity would be the world's greatest religion, if it weren't for... ...the Christians."
 
 
+29 # RMDC 2015-01-10 19:54
Finally some sane thinking on this event. Islam is a religion of peace in greater ways than Christianity of Judaism.
 
 
+17 # cunegonde 2015-01-10 22:44
That's not what Abdul-Jabbar said.
 
 
+50 # Mattie 2015-01-10 23:53
RMDC, I get fairly uncomfortable when one religion is deemed greater than the next, although I confess that I find Buddhism (Awakening) extremely appealing.
 
 
+1 # bmiluski 2015-01-14 09:15
How peaceful can a religion be that shames it's women into wearing the burka?
 
 
-57 # DaNeugii 2015-01-10 22:55
Is it just uniquely American to solicit opinions from sports stars, like they know more than others because they have superior coordination or faster muscle twitch?
 
 
+80 # Mattie 2015-01-10 23:48
DaNeugii,are you serious? Did you read the article? Does it represent "superior coordination or faster muscle twitch" to you? You didn't find it well-informed, thoughtful,even generous? Do you know anything about the writer's qualifications, his education? Would a law degree make a difference in your profiling? . . . tiresome profiling. Maybe what is uniquely American is our inclination to denigrate the messenger when we are uncomfortable with the message. Probably not uniquely American, but nonetheless tiresome. Mr. Jabar's article is not about knowing more than others; it's about being mindful of our knee-jerk responses to stressful events, about discerning accurate information, and about applying critical thinking -- thinking that extends beyond self-interest and myopic comfort zones.
 
 
+32 # randrjwr 2015-01-11 10:26
Quoting DaNeugii:
Is it just uniquely American to solicit opinions from sports stars, like they know more than others because they have superior coordination or faster muscle twitch?


You mean that, just because a person is a professional athlete, he/she is automatically not intelligent and thoughtful and not worth the attention of the "really" intelligent people--you, for example? From the content of this article, and another by him that I have read, I would rate Kareem above, way above, a goodly number of our revered Congresspersons in intelligence. And who is "soliciting" these opinions, anyway? He is an American and in America citizens and non-citizens alike have the right to speak their mind. Being a professional (or amateur) athlete does not negate that right.

In closing, let me say I agree completely with what Mattie has written in reply to DaNeugii.
 
 
+8 # lfeuille 2015-01-11 16:37
Quoting DaNeugii:
Is it just uniquely American to solicit opinions from sports stars, like they know more than others because they have superior coordination or faster muscle twitch?


He was solicited because he is well known to be Muslim and is famous, not because he is (or was) a sports star.
 
 
+2 # DaNeugii 2015-01-13 00:00
If Kareem was not a sports star, we would not know him. Yes, you can be a superior athlete and have superior intelligence.
 
 
-6 # bmiluski 2015-01-12 11:31
Good question DaNeugii......I don't know why you got so many "thumbs down" votes.
 
 
+1 # DaNeugii 2015-01-13 00:04
Interesting, I didn't make a statement or take a position, I just asked a question. Makes me question the readers here.
 
 
+79 # Carol R 2015-01-10 23:04
"For me, religion—no matter which one—is ultimately about people wanting to live humble, moral lives that create a harmonious community and promote tolerance and friendship with those outside the religious community."

This is the goal of all religions. The world would be a better place if humans respected those who are different. We are 99.99% the same. We are also the only species on earth that spends so much time, creativity and effort to kill other humans.

Imagine a world where we care about others and work to end "poverty, political oppression, systemic corruption, lack of education, lack of critical thinking, and general hopelessness". That is a world at peace.
 
 
+30 # Mattie 2015-01-10 23:54
Thank you, Carol R.
 
 
+19 # RMDC 2015-01-11 08:40
Carol R. yes this is the point -- respect for the religious beliefs of others and aim toward a world where care for others is the central point of our lives.
 
 
+18 # angelfish 2015-01-10 23:42
The problem with these "Jihadists" is that Chaos is their god and horrifying people, even their OWN, is their Stock in Trade! They are ALL perverted, repressed young men who, unable to interact with women in a normal way, redirect their sexual tension into hating the West and it's overt Sexual messages that they are now exposed to on a daily, hourly, minute by minute continuum thanks to improvements in the delivery of News from outside the Middle East. They pretend to be devoted sons of Islam, when, in reality, they drink, smoke, dope as well as tobacco and STILL don't know how to deal with members of the opposite sex, hence their desperate attempts to get to Paradise and their 72 Virgins. Someone really SHOULD tell them that most Virgins aren't as pleasurable as they imagine. Religion has NOTHING to do with what has happened in Paris or anywhere else in the World where their bloody hands have reached. It is Fanaticism, plain and simple. Like Fundamentalists in THIS Country who pervert the Bible to fit THEIR twisted way of thinking so are these fanatics all over the globe. I can only hope that it fades back into the oblivion from which it came. All MOST people really want is what EVERYONE wants. A home, a job, a Family and time to enjoy life a little before leaving this mortal coil. Hopefully, SANE Muslims will rise up and squelch the Crazies before they hurt any more innocents.
 
 
-4 # tarantilla 2015-01-11 00:09
OMG perhsaps we're finghting these terrorists all wrong!! We need to send them woman (by convoy or parachute) and also a contingent of virgins. All volunteers from coalition armies (do they have virgins?). This will surely lower sexual tension and should result in better relations with the West.
 
 
-9 # Old4Poor 2015-01-11 01:51
OH, thank you. I was so appalled I could not think what to say to "her?"
 
 
+6 # Old4Poor 2015-01-11 14:53
Not that I mind getting thumbs down, but I am mistified as to why this comment received any. Especially as the one I was praising had a number of positive responses instead.

The idea that Jihad is the result of sexually repressed males is laughable.
 
 
-11 # brux 2015-01-11 16:43
Nothing is laughable until it is determined one way or the other. There is something to the sexual repression of males and the nature of a civilization, no question. Whatever it is, it's not very funny.
 
 
+2 # Old4Poor 2015-01-12 00:19
Thanks. If I understand this now, I got thumbs down from sexually repressed men who do not like that I find their angst laughable.

And, there are at least 8 of you in this group.
 
 
+3 # Doubter 2015-01-12 18:47
Am I the only old fuddy-dudy here that appreciates your sense of humor?
 
 
0 # Old4Poor 2015-01-13 00:49
Well, I appreciate it myself, but I am also an old fuddy duddy.
 
 
+46 # Mattie 2015-01-11 00:24
Angelfish, my experience is that we don't have to wander far from our own communities to find horrific expressions of sexual repression. Likewise, horrendous expressions of poverty, hunger, and injustice.
 
 
+1 # angelfish 2015-01-17 18:35
Quoting Mattie:
Angelfish, my experience is that we don't have to wander far from our own communities to find horrific expressions of sexual repression. Likewise, horrendous expressions of poverty, hunger, and injustice.

True, Mattie, however, in America at least, MOST males are not TAUGHT and ENCOURAGED to look at women as objects. Many do but they are not force-fed the same kind of tripe given to the young men of the Middle East. Martyrdom is not taught to young men here in the U.S., as a way to be sexually rewarded when they die, either. Shrouding women from head to foot enforces the belief that while women are a "juicy" reward, they are also Forbidden Fruit. They really need to come into the 21st Century. Killing people for disrespecting their "god" is also a pitiful way to garner "brownie" points with that entity. I think that Jesus would be horrified if that's what all Christians did to unbelievers. "Hate the sin, LOVE the sinner" is what HE would have preached.
 
 
0 # angelfish 2015-01-17 18:36
oops!
 
 
+22 # tarantilla 2015-01-10 23:55
religions change, people stay the same. Religous practices have included burning at the stake, boiling in oil, getting skinned alive, choppping off heads, etc. Certain practices and ideas are popular at different times, so sometimes people and ideas are accepted ( i.e. the
enlightment) and when that gets boring, people get chopped up, hung from trees, put in gas chambers and/or form armies to kill one another. We are still born the same humans as 1000 years ago, with no moral decline or advancement. We will continue as in the past. But there is hope, As humans destroy the earth we will likely die of diseases, to put mother nature back in balance.
 
 
-31 # Anonymot 2015-01-11 00:14
Kareem, you're a basketball great, but you don't know much about Islam. Don't get knee-jerk mad, because you're not alone. Your "For me..." says it all.

The Islam you know is the one created for and by Americans who wanted out of the persecuted black syndrome in America. I lived through it all and I've studied Islam. I have an as yet unpublished manuscript on its early period about which nobody knows much.

Al Qaida and ISIS are very much in the fundamentalist Islamic tradition. Peace and beautiful love came later, much later. As with most religions, the extreme is but a small part, but they co-exist. The current Islamic extreme was but a little knot of wasps until they scored their lucky hit on 9/11.

But their luck was only partially that the WTC collapsed.

The other half was that the morally, economically, and politically corrupt group who led America were looking for an excuse to change the regimes in the Middle East. They kicked the wasps' nest. The first excuse the CIA concocted out of the whole cloth, WMDs. The next excuse came from a little vegetable seller in Tunisia. Each excuse put into play a complex script read by a U.S. group waiting in the wings to come onstage with bombs, guns & drones.

It is the Christian and Jewish extremists who have reacted dumbly to brilliant maneuvers by the Islamists who made the war.

But it IS an ongoing Islamic tradition and Islam as practiced by black America is a different religion without a real, ancient tradition.
 
 
-57 # brux 2015-01-11 01:28
> Kareem, you're a basketball great, but you don't know much about Islam. Don't get knee-jerk mad, because you're not alone. Your "For me..." says it all.

Well said. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's personal feelings about Islam don't even register with the mass of the movement in the world.
 
 
-3 # kalpal 2015-01-11 10:13
Silly, ignorant conspiracist nincompoop is what you are.
 
 
-7 # Anonymot 2015-01-11 12:50
I'm back. From time to time I get lots of + and on rare occasion some -. What I'm known for is independent thinking. Because I've lived in such disparate parts of the world and for so long my perspectives aren't the usual. That always leaves me curious as to why the negatives.

Here, was it the fact that the Islam so quickly raced through black America thanks to Malcolm X? Was it because I pointed out that the Islam of African Americans is not the Islam of the rest of the world? Or is it because I said that Kareem didn't know something?

Just google black American Islam. Or click: http://www.answering-islam.org/ReachOut/emergence.html

or Wickipedia it.

But I'd love to hear from a few of the - folk why they disagree.
 
 
+3 # Mattie 2015-01-12 04:48
Anonymot: You have said "I'd love to hear from a few of the - folk". I don't often bother with the +/- keys, although I may have thrown a - at you yesterday because you began one of your posts with the statement that the author "didn't know much about Ismam." That might be true; I don't know; I am simply bored by such broad-brush statements that divert attention from thoughtful analysis. For instance, I would have been interested if you had commented on Mr. Abdul-Jabbar's comment that "Any religion that requires coercion is not about the community, but about the leaders wanting power." . . . In another of your posts, I think I tossed a + at you for this: "The other half was that the morally, economically, and politically corrupt group who led America were looking for an excuse to change the regimes in the Middle East. . . . Each excuse put into play a complex script read by a U.S. group waiting in the wings". I personally believe that extreme greed and drive for power are not exclusively U.S. traits. Corporate and political terrorism thrives on a global scale. Wealthy investors are turning away from gold and oil in favor of food and water, the true necessities of life. I would love to have an update from journalist Fred Pearce on global land and water grabbing.I frequently feel that invitations to dance around arguments concerning religion are orchestrated diversions. I wish you well.
 
 
+9 # Anonymot 2015-01-11 00:34
"The Twin Tower attacks of 9/11 didn’t frighten America into embracing Islam."

No, but America is riddled by the fear it created 13 years ago and it built our police state and devastated our economy. Their point was not 'embrace Islam in the morning'. By sheer coincidence I was trapped in the rubble of the WTC for 5 hours. It has very slowly shredded my business.

"The fatwa against Salman Rushdie didn’t prevent the publication of The Satanic Verses."

The book came out on Monday. I bought a copy at Harrod's. The fatwa was on Thursday or Friday.

As for the rest of that paragraph I can only wish you has a greater grasp of America in the world's context, because you are a great guy.
 
 
-39 # brux 2015-01-11 01:37
Does it not seem kind of odd to you that people in Islamic countries are being arrested for postings to the Internet and yet you are calling the US a police state?

It's time to lighten up on ourselves and quit feeling guilty. Virtually every country has a horrible past in some way ... the West has the vision that everyone in the world wants. It's not perfect, but it's evolving. It is evolving because we get to speak our minds and vote, even though those votes and statements do not always cause the changes we want to see right away, what other tradition anywhere else is better?
 
 
+13 # dbrize 2015-01-11 15:09
Quoting brux:
Does it not seem kind of odd to you that people in Islamic countries are being arrested for postings to the Internet and yet you are calling the US a police state?

It's time to lighten up on ourselves and quit feeling guilty. Virtually every country has a horrible past in some way ... the West has the vision that everyone in the world wants. It's not perfect, but it's evolving. It is evolving because we get to speak our minds and vote, even though those votes and statements do not always cause the changes we want to see right away, what other tradition anywhere else is better?


Does it not seem odd to you that "we" are becoming increasingly more like "them"?

Because we may not have "evolved" to a certain level of barbarity does not mean we are headed in the proper direction.

"We" are actually be playing into their designs. 9-11 was a criminal activity in which we found nearly the entire world on our side. We could have with relative ease, discovered the perpetrators and brought them to justice. Instead we reacted as "they" desired.

We began a GWOT to be combined with along with democratizing the world .

Ridiculous Wilsonian hubris fueled by cooked intelligence reports and outright lies. With the added twist that "we" must "temporarily" take away our basic civil liberties and privacy rights in order to save them.

"Temporarily". Now that's a hoot. Aren't you the one telling us this will be a 100 years or more adventure?
 
 
-19 # brux 2015-01-11 16:41
> Does it not seem odd to you that "we" are becoming increasingly more like "them"?

Whatever, no, I don't see it. This is some pattern that you apparently see and have some rational for, but I don't. I compare the US with the US back in the Viet Nam war - which I think is the right comparison, and I think the country, I know the country, has shifted.

You cannot mentally conflate all the stuff in the media and then statistically think that you drawing patterns out of that is valid. The media is a tricky thing, either side, to try to extrapolate reallity from. You really never know quite what happened, you need to be looking at broad patterns, not trying to follow the daily news.

I sure feel like I still have my basic civil liberties.

I think the backlash against all of this internet technology stuff has not happened because most people do not realize what it is, not because of a real government conspiracy, or power grab, though that motivation is always there.

People are stupid, herd animals, and the biggest technology right now is how to herd them. We still have the most factual herding mechanism and free thought expression in the globe, and that counts for a lot.
 
 
+13 # dbrize 2015-01-11 20:03
Just when I think you can't get any worse, you come up with this kind of stuff. Throwing in non sequiturs about Viet Nam, "internet technology stuff" and "extrapolations " to whatever thought flits across your mind.

That you "feel like (you) have (your) basic civil liberties" is a bit like working around asbestos and saying, I feel like I can breath just fine.

You can't see it so how can it hurt you.

Your simplistic Manichean world view does credit to Nietzsche's will to power.

Your understanding of power in the hands of "good people" fails to acknowledge the many historic and current examples of how unchecked power corrupts even "good people".

Your final paragraph gives us an apt description of your general contempt for humans in general.

If you are right, I'd rather be wrong.

You can rest sure that your vaunted technologies will be used to "herd" you right along with those "stupid herd animals". And you will likely march along saluting all the way.
 
 
-10 # brux 2015-01-12 14:15
non-sequitur - Non sequitur (logic), a logical fallacy where a stated conclusion is not supported by its premise

No non-sequitor when you simply disagree or do not get the analogy and violently disagree ... is not a non-sequitur,

I think you asbestos analogy is foolish, because you do not acknowledge the other side of hypochondriasis where people see patterns and symptoms that do not exist and frame their lives and beliefs around them. That's you.

To have an objective opinion, you have to think deeply enough to see both sides of a thing, not just jump on your asbestos analogy without critical thinking or use the terms of critical thinking without critical thinking.

I see how being forces to respect a world view that does not deserve respect hurts us all, and especially those that are forced to live under it ... how do you Iive an examined free life when someone says if you say certain things or think certain things they will kill you?

> If you are right, I'd rather be wrong.

You got your wish.
 
 
+10 # randrjwr 2015-01-11 20:07
The NSA is watching us all, the FBI complains bitterly that Apple allows people to encrypt their phones, innocent people have their assets confiscated for depositing their business receipts in amounts less than the $10000 threshold that triggers a bank report (as well as for other supposedly suspicious activities and all without charges being filed), whistle blowers that expose our dirty and illegal secrets are persecuted and vilified (and the list could be much longer) and you can say we are NOT a police state. Wake up and smell the garbage, brux!
 
 
-10 # brux 2015-01-12 14:20
If you listen to what Snowden says, the NSA is not watching us all, they are saving all our communication so that in case they have an incident of find someone of note they can also find out who they were communcating with and what about,

Maybe that is a slight distinction to you, but you do not sound like you really understand it.

Yes, I would agree that there is a danger that someone in the NSA might illegally look at your data. Probably very unlikely, but I think that is mostly because they have no real way to control that at this point, and not because they want to watch everyone.

>> innocent people have their assets confiscated for depositing their business receipts in amounts less than the $10000 threshold that triggers a bank report

I've not heard this before .... where do you get this? I think those innocent people are doing more than just depositiing receipts, because that is not a crime unless you are concealing income from the IRS?

I smell a lot of bad stuff - mostly bad information and untrue comments, and I try to comment on it and add what I can.
 
 
+49 # Hermit 9 2015-01-11 01:30
I am grateful for the intelligence, insight and courage of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. It is apparent his practice has lead him to peace, love and tolerance.
 
 
+35 # Old4Poor 2015-01-11 01:55
Thank you, I found his article well written and important.
 
 
+2 # ronnewmexico 2015-01-11 01:57
KAJ means well and his words make perfect sense. I have no doubt he speaks the truth.

I do not consider myself buddhist but have extensive training and do utilize tools within it.

So I am not speaking for Buddhism or for them that are but this I have found within the specific of my practice….

A notation from about 600 or so years ago that all the abrahamic religions were considered back in that day to be followers of Azura's which are to those in this form of buddhism…demons.

Plaintly speaking your god of the three religions is a demon not a god.

Religions mean a lot to people and serve great good purpose in helping them to see and act compassionately.

But they do in this context of these three..to my personal observation..al l three of them has the effect of bad things about more than good things.

The people in them are good good people..this man is one. But if you mistakeingly are worshipping a demon..things are bound to go wrong..which they always seem to do with these.

What god could allow the genocide of how many millions in Jewery…only a demon could do that. What god could allow the crusaders and crusades..did you know perhaps in one of those seiges they cut off from food they did eat dead bodies..those crusaders. And what god now to allow all these things…

. Good people religions serve all great purpose…it is quite unfortunate all three worship the same god and he be not god but demon. So always is the mischif of evil with them.
 
 
+1 # ronnewmexico 2015-01-11 02:26
It speaks to the problem I think really does> I think many of the worlds religions they don't really care what you think of them

I verse this here, I will be hounded, I have done it before and always with these three this is the result..If someone doesn't like your religion..you just cannot accept that. Witch hunts this that…really all three….they do not take someone saying they do not like them.

I am not going to kill you hunt you down hurt you as your god is demon..really it is your business not mine,
If you think my tool is evil…that is fine I will not harm you over it.. your effect is more important than my ideology of religion. You are human a religion however good it may be is but idea.

But all three really you take it alll above being human and kind to people..you put it as human and kind is secondary we do that when we can…first is our god and out religion, then that..which I think is backwards.

So I now will be hounded…. really other religions I say the same thing…I think they will not do that.
I really do think that..all three produce a faulted result. All religions are faulted at times and do harm..it just seems these three are way more harm than others.
 
 
+11 # babalu 2015-01-11 10:21
I find this fascinating! Those who would cut off food stamps from those who cannot earn enough money to put on the table - inhabited by demons.
Those who require doctors to lie to their patients - inhabited by demons.
Those who would start wars under false premises - inhabited by demons.
Sounds like the anti-Christ is moving through our society.
 
 
0 # babalu 2015-01-11 10:21
I find this fascinating! Those who would cut off food stamps from those who cannot earn enough money to put on the table - inhabited by demons.
Those who require doctors to lie to their patients - inhabited by demons.
Those who would start wars under false premises - inhabited by demons.
Sounds like the anti-Christ is moving through our society.
 
 
+38 # Rockster 2015-01-11 02:33
What a hornets nest of emotional outpourings . It's hard to even believe most of the above posts even honestly read Kareem's original article. But then , perhaps that's what our friend brux wanted to do when he deliberated took the original articles points and tried to turn them inside out to create confusion and discord ? I choose to stand with Kareem and his loving sincere stance and brux can go back to his other job .
 
 
+6 # ronnewmexico 2015-01-11 02:52
Agree with that... KAJ is a good good person you can tell by the read.

Certainly this one form of that religion of abraham to produce such a good good person can be no better nor worse than the other two.
 
 
-19 # brux 2015-01-11 10:22
No one is arguing that KAJ is a bad person, and that shows that you did not read the article or people's posts.

Of course you didn't, you are too busy running all around writing comments to the comments to the comments you've already made to yourself.
 
 
-11 # brux 2015-01-11 16:35
Well, you are!
 
 
-19 # brux 2015-01-11 10:18
The point of the article is basically to equate Muslims with him instead of the hundreds of Muslims in the real world. I happen to "love" the truth and fact and objectivity not sentimental unreasoned nonsense because it might delude me into feeling better.
 
 
+6 # Glen 2015-01-11 16:31
Yes, Rockster, folks similar to brux are experts at stirring up controversy and argument. But - those comments do inspire further research and thinking, no matter how extreme, and often uninformed those comments are. Sigh. brux represents the flop side of U.S. citizens and their thinking. Yes, flop side, rather than flip side.
 
 
-15 # brux 2015-01-11 16:34
Maybe you'd like to point to one of my uninformed comments instead of talking behind my back $%*&^^$# ???
 
 
+7 # Glen 2015-01-12 08:26
Behind your back - that's rich. This is a public forum for all to see, brux.

When you cite violent acts, as in your post above, why don't you identify the perpetrators? I could post and identify acts of violence right here in my community. A community with churches literally on every corner.

A church shunning a teenager because the father (who was probably incestuous) declaring to that congregation the daughter was out of hand, yes incest by church goers, child abuse in taping kids to chairs for an entire weekend, smacking them randomly, men beating their wives and children, a husband shooting his wife with the gun in her vagina, and more. They then all went to church on Sunday.

No peep from the community at large, much less the church. THAT is religious complicity.
 
 
-9 # brux 2015-01-12 14:08
Your stupid as well as rude ... "behind your back" in this context means speaking to me or about my outside of Replying to me about my articles or comments.

Sorry you live in a bad neighborhood. I don't think that is what people want, or condone and I don't think most people live in places like that. If I did I'd move.

I'd just say for your consideration too, the Palestinians live in such a neighborhood as does most of Islam. It is their only neighborhood and they have no options - kind of like living in a dysfunctional home.

It is what drives them mad enough to consider suicide and terrorism.

This is a kind of culture you say yourself that does not deserve respect, so why do you attack those like me who want to end it?
 
 
+2 # Glen 2015-01-13 08:07
Well, at least I didn't call you stupid! Snort.

I actually live in a nice area, but I'm thinking you would be extremely shocked at how many communities around the U.S., and very religious ones at that, include some pretty rotten behavior. Religion is no guarantee an American is above another group simply because of differing religious beliefs.

You are in grave need of digging deeper into issues rather than simply dropping grenades into a thread of discussion such as this. Your prejudice and hatred is showing.
 
 
-23 # FrankCavestani 2015-01-11 03:12
I always thought the KKK were burning a cross because the Blacks were Christians or Catholic and that the KKK was against them trying to scare the ba Jesus out of 'em. What is scary about Islam is it seems that Islamic leaders are scared to death of condemning ISLA or terrorist in a big way. (I don't blame them for being scared.) And then it is all mixed up with Israel and Palestine. (Hopefully they get State-ship.) But yes it is about money as it seems these terrorist want to take over Europe and end current Democratic governments. I see no lasting solution. Like the old west we may all have to be armed.
 
 
+23 # bpuharic 2015-01-11 08:02
Having us all armed is a recipe for civil war. Imagine 100,000 armed Muslims instead of 3. No civil society needs guns to be free. And America is the ONLY free nation in the world that has this bizarre idea
 
 
-13 # FrankCavestani 2015-01-11 03:12
I always thought the KKK were burning a cross because the Blacks were Christians or Catholic and that the KKK was against them trying to scare the ba Jesus out of 'em. What is scary about Islam is it seems that Islamic leaders are scared to death of condemning ISLA or terrorist in a big way. (I don't blame them for being scared.) And then it is all mixed up with Israel and Palestine. (Hopefully they get State-ship.) But yes it is about money as it seems these terrorist want to take over Europe and end current Democratic governments. I see no lasting solution. Like the old west we may all have to be armed.
 
 
+8 # barbaratodish 2015-01-11 03:48
Kareem:We're ALL more than our religion! We're ALL more than our ethnicity,race, gender, etc! We're especially ALL more than our language! When, "people" consider themselves ONLY their religion,ethnicity,race, gender, names, etc., they feel like less than the limitless human people that we're ALL meant to be. Such "people"(murder ers, supporters, etc of the Charlie Hebdo journalists,)we re/are only semi existing because they (and WE ALL?) are dealing in/with FEAR of the future &/or regret of the past. We're ALL responsible for the Paris murders because we are ALL part of the problem instead of being ALL of the solution. It's possible to TRANSCEND the limitations of LANGUAGE. BLISS, LOVE, HUMOR CAN exist in limitless abundance for us all PROVIDED, that is, if we ALL have our basic needs met. Until then, however, how can anyone,even the 1% TRULY, AUTHENTICALLY, EXPERIENCE this bliss when there HAS to be an awareness. & the resultant DEFENSIVENESS that rears it's ugly head in expressions like the murders in Paris when, to some degree, a large part of the world is without their basic physical needs for survival? "I recognized my kinship with all living things and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then and I say now that, while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it and while there is one soul in prison, I am not free" Eugene V. Debs Please call, &/or email me 973 484-1023 btodish@kean.edu
 
 
+3 # futhark 2015-01-11 04:22
As has been made abundantly clear in Kevin Ryan's "Another Nineteen: Investigating Legitimate 9/11 Suspects" the 9/11 attacks were not actually attacks BY Islamic people, but part of an ongoing pogrom AGAINST Islamic people. If you doubt this, just compared casualty lists of Muslims versus those in the "Coalition of the Willing" in the subsequent conflicts. No one invites the kind of suffering Muslims have experienced on their own people.
 
 
+18 # ishmael 2015-01-11 04:55
It is kind of surprising that these criminal gangs masquerading as muslim don't focus more on the horrible consequences of inept drone strikes in the middle east, instead of rather insignificant portrayals of Islam in popular media.

But to the criminals, loss of real muslim lives is insignificant. They are known for killing muslims, which kind of makes them --uh -- anti-Islam.
 
 
-2 # Anonymot 2015-01-11 20:00
In the long gone days when Christians truly believed in their faith, there was no shortage of interdenominati onal killings, boilings, and torturing. It's one of the great weaknesses of religions and of our species.

Until our last two brilliant administrations came along, Muslims primarily killed other Muslims - except for their early expansion days 1300 years ago.
 
 
+12 # PAJohn 2015-01-11 05:56
Violence is NEVER an adequate solution to conflicts between individuals or nations. But deliberate, insensitive disrespecting of differences in beliefs or cultural norms always risks untoward reactions, particularly by members of oppressed minorities who feel they have no other means of making their grievances heard.

United in their majority, the mob's indignation at untoward reactions by members of the minority risks ignoring the distress of a persecuted and oppressed minority. Along with Liberty, Equality and Fraternity, we need also to show Compassion and Understanding for, and attend to, the plights of even the least among us.
 
 
-3 # Cassandra2012 2015-01-12 14:58
Mmm no, not exactly. When Jews or Buddhists, or Hindus are consistently mocked or vilified in cartoons or the media, they do not immediately turn to violence and blow people up or shoot them. [There are perhaps a few weird exceptions, but they are known as exceptions.]
Not even Christians (except for the KKK and the Westboro Baptist wackos) by and large, when vilified or mocked in cartoons, go around being more than irritated or angered enough to spew venom about how Christianity is being discriminated against etc. ... they do NOT immediately kill the cartoonists. {Kill the messenger?}
The cartoons etc. are indeed often in bad taste, but that is the nature of satire.... and in countries like France and the US, satire is, at the very least, a tolerated form of expression (it beats blowing up people who you are mad at.)
Not talking about beliefs, however intolerant, and /or mythological, or hiding it and then acting in disparate ways to discriminate against people you are disposed to dislike (e.g., because you think they 'killed' Christ, or worship 'idols' or look different, or 'eat Kosher or 'Halal' food', or are 'infidels' or ... is surely not preferable.
 
 
+12 # itchyvet 2015-01-11 06:06
I understand he's an American, therefore for him to even begin to see the havoc that his nation has wrought on a major part of the World, is I guess a little understandable. I'd ask him the question though, does he believe, these actions would continue, if the American Government got the hell outa Dodge, packed it's kit and brought all its military, CIA and clandestine assassination forces home, butted out of other countries political affairs and ceased trying to undermine genuine democraticlly elected Governments to replace with their own sympathetic puppets.
And this author states in his opinion it's all about QUOTE, " Nor should we blame America’s foreign policy as the spark that lights the fuse. Poverty, political oppression, systemic corruption, lack of education, lack of critical thinking, and general hopelessness in these countries is the spark." UNQUOTE. DUH, who is responsible for fomenting such in the first place, if it's not America ? HINT, ask the South American nations.
 
 
+6 # mblockhart 2015-01-11 12:01
Not necessarily Americans, knowingly, have done this. But multi-national corporations most of which are American owned and the American military-survei llance-industri al complex did it for their profits. These terrorist acts actually just further their goals.
 
 
+11 # jdd 2015-01-11 06:12
A thoughtful piece, but missed the mark in some ways. Th fact that we "debated and released" the report on terrorism does not make us admirable. As he states, the whole world did know about it. What he does not say is that the redacted report was only 1/10 of the entire of the whole and that it was published only after the stonewalling of the Obama administration and outright interference and threats by the CIA. Without the courage of Senator Feinstein, it would not have seen the light of day. What has come of it? Despite the calls of many, including the NY Times, for a complete investigation and prosecution of those responsible, nothing has happened. Obama has sworn to protect the perpetrators and none have been punished in any way. This despite the fact that similar crimes were rightfully prosecuted following WWII, and that torture violates both international and American law. Our action or inaction is really a test about whether this nation is morally fit to survive, let alone lead.
 
 
+6 # cordleycoit 2015-01-11 06:33
I was in Paris in sixty eight and remember the Islamics wanted and attempted to pogrom the Jews in the Maris. They had to be run off. We best look inside Islam and find out why so many want to kill. When it came time to crush the Klan it took strong men to stand up and until the sixties to stop the lynching. Whole churches had to be educated.Men like Malcolm,William Worthey, the Panthers and the Lumpy Indians had to arm up and say no more.Even then the Klan had to be taken apart like a broken watch.
 
 
+2 # Radscal 2015-01-11 13:54
Do you recall what was going on between France and Algeria in the 60s?

Do you recall what was going on between France and the Jews in the 30s and 40s?
 
 
+7 # bpuharic 2015-01-11 07:53
What crap. Religionists always say this when members of their belief systems commit some atrocity. The KKK IS CERTAINLY related to Xtianity. Just as Islamist terrorists are related to Islam...because they TELL us they are. It's time for a Muslim reformation of the religion to expel Salafis and Wahabis. Muslims should stop apologizing for their religion and start reforming it

BUT, having said that, let us remember the French police officer who was a Muslim, and the Muslim members of our armed forces are ALSO representatives of Islam. If we note the terrorists in Islam we also have to note the heroes
 
 
-5 # brux 2015-01-13 01:07
The KKK has no support among Christians in this country - PERIOD.

If you want to talk about the past, go somewhere else, we are talking about how.

Terrorism and fatwas have popular supporting among a large number of the world's Muslims.

Yes, there are heroes in the Muslim world, and most of them are being tortured and executed because they live in the Muslims world.

The only way to change these cultures is war and force, like the Nazis and Emperor Worshiping Japanese. It was the first real case in the world of cultures being changed without huge violence.

We have a technology to do this, and yet we are not doing well with it in the Middle East, probably because Islam is not like anything we've ever met before.

Islam is a low-tech tightly knit totalitarian society that is geared toward threats from the outside and terrorizing Muslims to fight to expand Islam in the world.

It's the only religion I know whose main figure was a military general or leader. Ugh ... a religion of peace is such nonsense. Islam is a mind-fuck to close people's minds.
 
 
-7 # Starheart 2015-01-11 07:57
The 9-11 attacks WERE NOT CAUSED BY ISLAMIC TERRORISTS!! **** THEY WERE CAUSED BY DOMESTIC TERRORISTS WHOSE ACTS WERE CHOREOGRAPHED BY PEOPLE IN KEY GOVERNMENT POSITIONS TO BENEFIT THE INTERESTS OF MANY CORPORATIONS AS WELL AS THE PEOPLE INVOLVED IN CRIMINAL COVERT OPERATIONS CONNECTED TO THE GOVERNMENT (INCLUDING THE LUCRATIVE ILLEGAL DRUG OPERATIONS, CONTINUING TODAY BY PEOPLE CONNECTED THROUGH GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, THE MILITARY, CONTRACTORS, CIVILIANS, AND THE ORGANIZED GANG NETWORK).
 
 
+13 # bpuharic 2015-01-11 08:04
For starters, learn where your caps key is. For the content of your post, well, the early morning meds probably haven't been distributed yet
 
 
0 # Glen 2015-01-13 15:57
No worries about the down, red points, Starheart. I certainly understand you frustration and the need to shout in capital letters.

And - I agree with you.
 
 
+9 # corals33 2015-01-11 08:05
if Islam understands Islam and Christians understood Christianity why do we have all these sects, branches, denominations who all claim the right interpretations and practice.If white people truly knew THEIR history the KKK would not exist and racists would populate the mental asylums.I pray that the human race would wake up one day, reclaim their minds and put a stop to the inhumanity of their thoughts and actions.
 
 
+6 # sherryg 2015-01-11 10:05
Thank you for a nuanced, intelligent discussion of this event. It is not Islam that did this, it was used as an excuse. It seems that the Western world has agreed that any disparagement of that religion is fair game. It is not.
 
 
0 # bpuharic 2015-01-11 10:15
Yes it was Islam. We know that because they told us it was. I prefer to think Muslims are equal in intelligence to me and I believe them when they tell me the reasons they do things.
 
 
+1 # bpuharic 2015-01-11 10:10
Yesterday Muslims strapped a bomb to a 10 year old girl in Nigeria and killed 20. Last month Muslim terrorists killed 2000 people in Nigeria.

If they didn't have support in the Muslim world they wouldn't be able to inflict the damage they do
 
 
+3 # babalu 2015-01-11 10:17
Very well said, Kareem! When a Republican lit a bomb at the NAACP bulding, no one retaliated by firebombing the local Republican office!
 
 
+1 # tclose 2015-01-11 10:37
Of course the terrorist attack was about religion. To pretend otherwise does no service to any rational attempt to deal with this issue - and the issue is religious extremism.

These, as are most other recent attacks, are carried out in the name of Allah, not in the name of some other cause. To say this is not about religion is inaccurate.

Kareem, I respect you greatly, but in this case I disagree with your view. This attack may not be about YOUR religion, but it is about religion.
 
 
-1 # perkinsej 2015-01-11 11:36
Money? Seems a rather indirect way of saying the terrorist attacks are almost exclusively about politics. Many Moslem groups are at "war" with the West and with other competing Moslem groups simultaneously.
 
 
+4 # mblockhart 2015-01-11 11:51
Bravo, Kareem! You hit the nail on the head. I hope you are telling this also to the President. But go one step further following the money. Decades ago, the military-survei llance-industri al complex started funding and supporting "freedom fighters" that have become terror cells around the globe. Why'd they do that? It wasn't just about getting Russia out of Afghanistan and today it isn't just about swagger, revenge or anger. It now is about goading us into war for their profits. Killing people in the name of Islam is INTENDED by the unseen puppeteers to make us hate Muslims and support wars against Muslim countries and discrimination against Muslims at home. The terrorist actors have been shaped to believe and may sincerely believe their reasons. But following the money reveals the real goal. Thanks also for mentioning the impact of our global income inequity that has provided fertile ground for radicalization among those in despair. Add also that global climate change is causing drought and crop failure and stimulating migration which also inflames anti-immigrant sentiment domestically and abroad. We have to restrain the terrorists from acting, but we also must address climate change and economic inequities to get at the root causes of terrorism.
 
 
+2 # elkingo 2015-01-11 11:54
Kareem,
Those are the words of a senior American statesman. Why don't you run for the Senate for Chris...uh whoops, the Prophet's sake?
This is true humanitarian writing. Then again, what about those passages in the Qu'ran giving ruling status to Dar al Islam over Dar al Harb -we infidels that is?
 
 
+2 # WestWinds 2015-01-11 12:01
Quote:
"I look forward to the day when an act of terrorism by self-proclaimed Muslims will be universally dismissed as nothing more than a criminal attack of a thuggish political organization wearing an ill-fitting Muslim mask. To get to that point, we will need to teach our communities what the real beliefs of Islam are. In the meantime, keep my name on speed-dial so we can get through this together."
--- Then we need to call it out for what it is each and every time. We do not call them "Islamists" we call them "So-called Islamists" until people finally log it onto their brains that it isn't what they want you to believe it is and they aren't what they want you to believe they are.

I call phony Christians "so-called Christians" all the time. It's how I make the difference between them and single out the rats hiding among the flock using the flock for cover.

We the People need to assume some responsibility toward getting the facts straight and calling something exactly what it is so there's no confusion and the abusers don't get to use the good guys to hide behind.

PS Thank you Mr. Abdul-Jabbar for another excellent piece. I love the way you write; you have a beautiful voice.
 
 
-3 # brux 2015-01-13 09:22
The "so-called" prefix is a nice try, but groups really have to be known for the things they do and what they project as their identity.

There have been rotten Christians in the past, and possible so in the future again at some point, that stood for supporting all the bad stuff their containing empires have done, but the world and the inside of people's minds was much different then, but we know what Christians are supposed to stand for, and mostly what things are done in their name.

If the KKK or abortion clinic bombers want to call themselves Christian or anyone else, they are free to do that, but most of the world knows that connection is a claimed, "so-called" connection.

Islam has a different history and structure than Christianity. Apparently its leaders can say whatever they want and even lie to the greater nation of group they live in.

Everything in Islam supports every other thing in Islam, it truly is a low-tech totalitarian system designed to put its "victims" in the service of sustaining, spreading and fighting for Islam. It is a mindset and the spiritual leader was a conquering general.

Some things cannot be denied.
 
 
-1 # ronnewmexico 2015-01-11 12:25
I see it this way. there are fine religious peoples and many of them in each or these three religions. And in part they do great good. They serve for many as sources of compassion.

But for all this good and good people there are for every one at least a hundred.
A person who stands against the isreli government is considered a antisemite by those who think on that thing..which means really they want him dead, to kill him, who would not a anti-Semite.
A person puts a cross in piss as I heard of happened in the 80's so they want to kill him many threats are made, the man he can not go about his business. He did that as art.

And this, yes always this. For every good thing and action there seem far more who use your particular thing as excuse for their hatred. Years ago it was pilgrims in america killing a quaker woman as she lived in their place, by hanging.
Years ago it was the killing of any considered as witch different. Years ago it was this or that..but it always was years ago..

No demon, the thing we find in all abraham religions is demon. It makes most of you qurte crazy in this thing. You cannot see it…it is clearly there…it makes you demon as well.

No personal offense intended…I really do believe this thing. In years past you would have put me to a stake and burned me. Now you cannot but you still feel that thing…I know you do…you of alll sides that have lost what is human in you.
 
 
0 # ronnewmexico 2015-01-11 12:41
Have you ever thought, this old thing the bible, the old testamen,t the christians say it... but it is the foundations to all, that base on abraham…this thing, have you thought on It?

In it there was a thing called passover. And these peoples were held in slavery, any manner of bad heinous things were done to them. So they sought escape and implored their god…help us to get freedom. So he did... in the end the last scourge…he killed all first borns, not only children even the animals….dead children of those who could not vote for a pharaoh, who couild not stop him…he was king. All the innocents killed..children.

So it gave freedom….I would not have that freedom if children be dead to supply it…you would and consider it a OK, and necessary, your freedom being more than that.

And slaves of those who were freed their kind... it is seen in this testament, can participate in the ceramony of this thing…so it was not to bring freedom to all..slaves are quite mentioned in it to exist and be Ok with their god..they may participate if they suffer male circumcision, then they may….but they are slaves..apparen tly their god finds that not a problem.

I want this as no slam on any one of the three..really it is all three..the killing of child to gain my freedom…no sorry I am above that…I would stay in slavery…we are not demon influenced as you are, who would kill children to enable any thing.
I am superior to your go/demon..he is evil, I am not pure but OK.
 
 
0 # ronnewmexico 2015-01-11 12:54
But you say..he killed our children…
Yes I say..he did firmly he did and would again likely..I would not kill another children nevertheless even to protect mine..it is always evil, in any context.

But you demon say it is true and right as he says one may hold slaves in this very same thing. It is not corrected, it is firmly said right he killed ours we kill his….yes his but also those innocents who he held as his charge..those innocents who were his subjects..and were innocent in this.

And it was not about slavery of all no greater thing as that…as slaves may participate in ceremony to celebrate this thing.

All it is one..but it extends from Abraham to all..they are the same…demon inspired. Only demons considere that thing OK..so he spreads his way of thinking to human….it is so sad.

Good in all religions certainly some in these always..like as not..more bad,, the lessons in it are evil ones. Some good a christ a mohammed a noah others…but in the end the product…histori cally it is colonialism it is pogram to other, it is suicide bomber…we who are not following your demon are quite quite tired of his and your nonsense…

kill children….kill witches kill innocents …you not me.
 
 
-1 # ronnewmexico 2015-01-11 12:58
KAJ..you are a nice person of great intelligence and heart it can be plainly seen.

YOu you would be better to have been playing with your children then writing this thing or that…it is so pointless..you are saying we are what you are as well…what you are as well..it is evil.

Good is in all three. I particularly find the jew the best of humanity. a Einstein a Trotsky…the best of all found there. a excellent peoples…it would be better if they and all three leave this demon behind.
 
 
+6 # Robbee 2015-01-11 13:16
thanks to this author for sharing wisdom and perspective. though the author won't criticize another religion, comparisons among commentators here to christianity, by contrast, as though it were peaceful, are bogus:

we don't have to refer as far back as the middle ages to catholics burning jews and heretics

we don't have to refer as far back as the 30 years war, when protestants fought catholics to kill more europeans, percentagew-wis e to the then-population , than either of the two world wars including wartime flu

we don't have to refer as far back as the 2nd world war, when a christian nation exterminated jews

for sheer swagger and bullying, onward christian soldiers, we need look back no further than bush/cheney, who invaded several muslim countries, on pretext, often false, then dared all the rest: "bring 'em on!" there is precious little message of peace among christians, sorry

i don't criticize christ teaching peace, turning the other cheek, so forth, only christanity, when it implements the contradictory, hipocritical expression of his teaching, war

as a nation we must not invite conflict, it is only ever the last resort. no follower of christ is ever heard to say: "bring 'em on!"
 
 
+8 # reiverpacific 2015-01-11 13:19
I personally think ALL religions are weird, based on mythical, blurry documents, constantly mass-marketed by those who would wield them as cudgels to gain power and wealth over unreasoning, obedient "Faithful", for which countless millions have perished, many agonizingly and, still are.
I'm not talking Spirituality here, which to me, is deeply personal and "Ain't nobody's business". I'm a "Recovering Catholic" B.T.W. Even so I've been deeply touched during high mass, especially by the music and by some priests I've met as humble pastors, integrated into villages in the jungles of Sumatra and Chilean near-deserts.
So nothing's absolute and you can't compare apples to Durians -they grow and flourish in totally different climactic conditions, as do diverse peoples.
The almost deranged, one-side, blinkered, finger-pointing , armchair critics and Islam-haters, who've obviously never traveled, are the most strident critics of beliefs or individuals they've never experience nor met but who post here and criticize Mr Jabbar, -well, what of Mohammed Ali, who had the courage to stand against the US war machinery and refused to go to Vietnam, saying; "Aint no Vietnamese ever called me Nigger!", accepting the consequences and fighting back to be "Champ" against all the establishment odds.
And what of the former "Blackwater" who were "Christian crusaders" but who shot Iraqis for sport in their time there, or Nutty-yahoo's genocide intent LIKUD/MOSSAD?
There's more but I'm done.
 
 
0 # Mattie 2015-01-12 08:20
reiverpacific. Wow, did the Blackwater gang profess to be Christian? Good questions you ask; just read your profile piece on Paraguay.Now there is a quiet little place we should be watching. I believe I read that the Bush people had about 94,000 acres (maybe hectares). In any case, lots of water. Not sure if Paraguay has already been GMO'd; perhaps it's only a matter of time. Argentina already sinking in a sea of glyphosate. . . . all a bit discouraging.
 
 
+8 # Radscal 2015-01-11 13:27
I generally applaud Kareem’s articles for his insight and clear presentations. So, this article disappoints.

“Violence committed in the name of religion is never about religion—it’s ultimately about money. “

Agreed. Yet this article does not even begin to track the money trail. Cui Bono?

“Nor should we blame America’s foreign policy as the spark that lights the fuse. Poverty, political oppression, systemic corruption, lack of education, lack of critical thinking, and general hopelessness in these countries is the spark.”

But all of those social ills are results of U.S. military/corpor ate/banking foreign policy. Great wealth of natural resources and human labor are expatriated. CIA coups install and U.S. “Foreign Aid” supports brutal dictators, who grow wealthy for selling out their countries. Keeping the victims ignorant and instilling the belief that they are powerless are necessary strategies when a 0.1% minority subjugates the 99.9%.

Regarding the “Torture Report,” Kareem writes, “We admit our faults and make adjustments.”

What adjustments have we made in regards to these specific war crimes? Who have we tried and put in prison? Only the whistleblowers who tried to stop the crimes. And let us not forget that torture is a regular “feature” of our policing and prison systems.
 
 
+1 # ronnewmexico 2015-01-11 13:41
I agree in all religions none of them being pure. Even Buddhism(I am not one of them) has mass deaths of war related to it. Hindu, Shinto, Tao, all.

But these three if we were to objectively look as perhaps a alien visiting this place…these three despite all the good found in them..they are always fighting each other and spreading things around that are usually bad things,

For one the notion of slavery being Ok it comes from exactly what I mention earlier,,it is Ok by that god. So the faithful in the south of america they were all christians they had to go to war to stop that thing….

And on and on and on….this thing now these attacks….
A alien would say..it would be better all the mischief these three create... it would be better we just did not have them at all.

Let us live our lives free of their nonsense. WE can you know just live…. with our familiies our daughters our sons our mothers our fathers..just live. We do not need this demon.

They are firmly not all religions. All have these things as part…but these three it is so much and often the dominate part.
Drop them..we would be better off no christ at all than this christ, we would be better off no mohamad at all than this mohamad, no abraham at all than this abraham….

Largly they just create mischief. When they are done with that..we have to go and clean up their messes.
 
 
+3 # margpark 2015-01-11 17:18
I really don't know why someone has to debate the fact that there are raving crazy people who call themselves Muslims but do not follow the lessons taught by their founder. Just like there are nuts who call themselves Christians and do not follow the lessons of Jesus. We have a lovely example of Christianity in Pope Francis and the Christian nuts hate him.
 
 
+1 # tonywicher 2015-01-11 18:39
I quite agree with Kareem. This has nothing to do with the religion of Islam. The pseudo-Islamic extremist ideology is just a distraction from what is really happening. The subjective psychology and motives of the terrorists are almost irrelevant to an understanding of these events. They are young, socially adrift and easily manipulated. They have been misled and mind controlled. The question is who indoctrinated them with this garbage, who is manipulating them and to what end. Who recruits them? Al Qaeda? Or is that Al CIAda - like their mentor Anwar al Awlaki the CIA lackey, "Imams" who are really MI5/MI6/CIA controllers, based in mosques in "Londonstan". These terrorists are irregular troops serving Anglo-American imperial policy. (continued next comment).
 
 
+2 # tonywicher 2015-01-11 18:40
In this case, what is the real intent behind the attack? It is a punishment and a warning to France and President Hollande not to deviate from the insane Anglo-American policy of sanctions against Russia, which Hollande announced on Jan 5 should be ended. The attack came the next day. Hollande has said France will "never cave in" to the pressure, but this pressure is not really to censure cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad, it is pressure to toe the line of the crazy Anglo-American policy against Russia. Hollande must now act like DeGaulle and assert the national interests of France against "perfide Albion". The British monarchy and its special relationship with the Saudi monarchy is the ultimate center of all international terrorism. The creation of armies of jihadists is Anglo-American policy. Prince Bandar bin Sultan, who is the most prominent leader of international terrorism, should be understood as a British/Saudi agent, as indeed should the Anglophile Bush family that has been controlling U.S. policy for decades.
 
 
+6 # kyzipster 2015-01-11 20:04
It's not difficult to imagine the US under the rule of a Christian monarchy propped up by foreign powers for a century. We'd see witches and adulterers burned in the town square. The only thing holding back Christian fascism is a more stable government and it barely holds them back. It's a constant battle to keep their version of 'sharia law' from taking hold.

Islam is part of the problem but it's extremely complicated and its nature is no more violent than any other world religion. It is about religion in part but the danger lies in suggesting that one brand of religion motivates evil people more than another.
 
 
+1 # Glen 2015-01-12 08:31
Thank you kyzipster.
 
 
+1 # thekidde 2015-01-12 09:26
Everyone in the world has the right to believe anything they want to about a "supreme being". They don't, however, have the right to force, by any means, these beliefs on others. Murderous "religions", including Christianity and Islam, have killed non-believers in vast numbers. Some bullshit "god" you got there, eh hosers?
 
 
0 # sidella 2015-01-12 10:34
Does anyone read the Quran ? If so read the first Surah. It's only 7or8 lines. It is supposed to be recited every morning by all Muslims.It's taught to children. Get several translation because different publishers add or change words. As an opening to a gospel it's very inciteful as to purpose.
 
 
+1 # tomtom 2015-01-12 11:16
On the subject of being holier than thou; buying and wearing Nikes and other foreign made goods supports and promotes slavery, because the workers in Mexico, etc. earn poverty wages, producing them. It is more convenient to not have to see our slaves, toil, sweat and walk home to their shacks.
 
 
0 # politicfix 2015-01-12 12:16
Separation of church and state made religion a private personal belief system and not something the whole country should be run by. Radical Christian groups in the US are constantly trying to change that. We have a Constitution, but religion is always challenging it because they want the whole country run by the Bible instead of the Constitution. Going against the Constitution is treason, but they do it anyway. France has 5 million Muslims, the highest population in any country, but the Muslim populations in many countries is increasing all around the world. Where they reside in France, they have Sharia law. If religion is the law of the land, it won't be long before all of France is governed by Sharia Law. Once the Muslim are elected to the government of France, they will change the law of the land. How do you know the true feelings of all Muslims? Whether they're peaceful or terrorists? They still wear their traditional garb with only their eyes showing in our country. How do we know if they are carrying weapons? They're also challenging our Constitution with their beliefs. If Muslims attain powerful positions in governments around the world, the laws will change based on their belief system just as Christians want the laws in the US to bow to their religious beliefs and demands. There is a reason for "Separation of church & state" in our Constitution. Ask yourself, Who doesn't fix immigration & allows people to invade our country illegally with terrorist on the loose?
 
 
+5 # Walter J Smith 2015-01-12 12:36
Actually, terrorism is the spiritual heartbeat of all religion. Why else would the US Government call itself christian while being the world's most prolific provider of terrorist servises around the globe? Why else would the religious devotees of Wall Street so religiously invest in the vicious wars against nature? Why else would both US dominant political parties insist upon giving public welfare to the terrorism-produ cing Wall Street corporations while starving millions of US children excusing themselves behind budgetary necessities? Why else would so many citizens calling themselves christians protect and apologize prolifically for the rapists and drug dealers and other terrorists in their clerics' ranks?
 
 
+3 # reiverpacific 2015-01-12 17:39
Quoting Mattie:
reiverpacific. Wow, did the Blackwater gang profess to be Christian? Good questions you ask; just read your profile piece on Paraguay.Now there is a quiet little place we should be watching. I believe I read that the Bush people had about 94,000 acres (maybe hectares). In any case, lots of water. Not sure if Paraguay has already been GMO'd; perhaps it's only a matter of time. Argentina already sinking in a sea of glyphosate. . . . all a bit discouraging.

Quoting Mattie:
reiverpacific. Wow, did the Blackwater gang profess to be Christian? Good questions you ask; just read your profile piece on Paraguay.Now there is a quiet little place we should be watching. I believe I read that the Bush people had about 94,000 acres (maybe hectares). In any case, lots of water. Not sure if Paraguay has already been GMO'd; perhaps it's only a matter of time. Argentina already sinking in a sea of glyphosate. . . . all a bit discouraging.

Blackwater founder Eric Prince declared himself and the Private army that amounted to Dimwit's Praetorian Guard, a Christian Army of Crusaders -or words to that effect. He's a fanatical evangelist God-botherer, who recruited his well-paid killers from the scum of the earth ranging from former Apartheid-era South African assassins and torturers, to death-squad thugs everywhere -mostly graduates of Fort Bennings School of the Americas, or whatever it's new moniker is.
Check out Jeremy Scahill's book "Blackwater".
 
 
+1 # Glen 2015-01-13 09:09
Thank you, reiverpacific. I had completely forgotten Blackwater and their actual war. I have wondered if they have strayed from the original intent.
 
 
+1 # toGODbetheglory 2015-01-12 17:52
It is with a tremendous sense of fulfillment that I add this comment...even though it might not amount to much,but after reading Mr Jabbar article my respect and admiration for this individual became limitless...as a christian I truly believe that we are our brothers keeper,irrespec tive of skin color,religious affiliation or mode of attire,and the time is now for us to put aside our petty differences and embrace our humanity.....GI VE THANKS MY BROTHER...BLESS
 
 
0 # reiverpacific 2015-01-13 10:56
Quoting Glen:
Thank you, reiverpacific. I had completely forgotten Blackwater and their actual war. I have wondered if they have strayed from the original intent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/blackwater/,
http://rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/Blackwater_Worldwide
 
 
0 # Glen 2015-01-13 15:58
Got it!
 

THE NEW STREAMLINED RSN LOGIN PROCESS: Register once, then login and you are ready to comment. All you need is a Username and a Password of your choosing and you are free to comment whenever you like! Welcome to the Reader Supported News community.

RSNRSN