RSN Fundraising Banner
FB Share
Email This Page
add comment
Print

Excerpt: "The findings mean that the UN has now documented 40 mass grave sites and killings of more than 400 people in Kasai Central and Kasai Oriental provinces since last August."

UN Peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. (photo: Aaron Ross/Reuters)
UN Peacekeepers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. (photo: Aaron Ross/Reuters)


UN: 17 Mass Graves Found in the Democratic Republic of Congo

By Al Jazeera

19 April 17

 

ICC will investigate reports of rapes and killings by soldiers if DRC government fails to, UN rights chief says.

nited Nations investigators have found 17 new mass graves in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), in an area that has seen fighting between soldiers and members of a local armed group, according to the UN rights chief.

Zeid Raad Al Hussein, the UN high commissioner for human rights, called the DRC's government to launch an investigation, threatening that the International Criminal Court (ICC) would do so if authorities failed to take action.

Zeid said in a statement published by his office on Wednesday that he had reports DRC soldiers had dug the graves after clashes with the Kamuina Nsapu militia in the central Kasai region in March.

"At least 74 people, including 30 children, were reported to have been killed by soldiers," in the clashes, he said, without giving details on the sources of his information.

During a separate incident in the provincial capital of Kananga last month, soldiers were reported to have shot dead at least 40 people and raped women and girls, Zeid said, again without saying who had made the reports.

Most of the victims were said to have been killed in their homes as soldiers went door to door looking for militia members, he added.

Fifteen of the newly-confirmed sites are in the town of Tshimbulu, and two in Thsienke, a village near Kananga city.

The findings mean that the UN has now documented 40 mass grave sites and killings of more than 400 people in Kasai Central and Kasai Oriental provinces since last August.

"It is absolutely vital that the government ... takes meaningful steps to ensure that there is [an]... independent investigation," Zeid said.

"Should there be no effective national investigation, I will not hesitate to urge ... an investigation by an international mechanism, including the International Criminal Court."

Evidence first

The government of the DRC said it would investigate the reports once it saw the evidence.

Lambert Mende, the government spokesman, said the UN team should pass its evidence to the justice department.

"Then we will start investigations," he added.

The government has previously denied that soldiers have used disproportionate force against militia members, who are often armed with machetes and home-made rifles, and said that the militia had dug other mass graves.

Kasai is the focus of the fight against the Kamuina Nsapu militia since August, when security forces killed its leader. The militia has been fighting largely to avenge his death.

The violence has become the most serious threat to President Joseph Kabila, whose decision to stay in power after his mandate ran out in December has stoked lawlessness across the vast central African nation.

The government said last week that it had returned the body of the armed group's leader to his village, which had been one of the militia's key demands.

However, it was unclear whether this gesture would sooth tensions after such extensive killings.

The Kamwina Nsapu have been accused of recruiting child soldiers, and of attacking public authorities, schools and churches.

Hundreds of people have been killed and 200,000 displaced, according to the UN.

e-max.it: your social media marketing partner
 

Comments   

We are going to return to our original fully-moderated format in the comments section.

The abusive complaints in the comment sections are just too far out of control at this point and have become a significant burden on our staff. As a result, our moderators will review all comments prior to publication. Comments will no longer go live immediately. Please be patient and check back.

To improve your chances of seeing your comment published, avoid confrontational or antagonistic methods of communication. Really that is the problem we are confronting.

We encourage all views. We discourage ad hominem disparagement.

Marc Ash
Founder, Reader Supported News

 
+3 # Radscal 2017-04-19 16:11
This article provides ZERO context for this story. Why are these people slaughtering one another?

Oh, it's Africa, so it must be "tribal war lords" like in Rwanda, right? What can one expect from Primitive African Natives?

This murderous violence has been going on in Congo for many years. Millions have been killed. Too bad none of the hundreds of thousands of brutally murdered children weren't "beautiful babies" so our President and his wife and daughter would become outraged. Because the US only gets involved when human rights are being abused, right?

Of course this is about precious resources and the extraction industries. Congo is rich with deposits of copper, gold, diamonds, cobalt, uranium and oil. And foreigners, first Colonial powers and then transnational corporations have pillaged this wealth and fomented this violence for centuries.

But in recent years, coltan is the gleam in the psychopaths' eye. Chances are each of us has some coltan from Congo in our cell phones or laptops or music players.

But let's pretend we have no responsibility for the mass graves described in this deliberately uninformed article. Is someone's phone ringing? "Can You Hear Me Now?"
 

THE NEW STREAMLINED RSN LOGIN PROCESS: Register once, then login and you are ready to comment. All you need is a Username and a Password of your choosing and you are free to comment whenever you like! Welcome to the Reader Supported News community.

RSNRSN